• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Suggest a widget

Kibbster

Android Expert
Mar 5, 2011
Bristol, UK
I've got bored and decided to install ADW launcher again (lets hope it's lag free this time!)

But I've got a blank homescreen I can't think what to put on it.
Can anyone suggest a cool widget for the screen?
I used to have friend stream there when I was running Sense so possibly another facebook type widget like friend stream but I am open to suggestions.

The winning suggestion gets thanks from me and my undying affection ;)

Have you tried the Launcher Pro + widgets? They offer some really nice facebook, calendar, messaging and people widgets. They can all be resized to whatever you like which I think is awesome.

Sorry for blanking out, obviously had to protect people's stuff. For more...ImageShack Album - 7 images

Also, for any widget ideas, this thread is always a good place to start. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=753151 - Look beyond the first page with the most wanted, people post cool widgets all through the thread.

snapshot5q.png

snapshot62.jpg

snapshot72.png

Reactions: Kibbster
Upvote 0
That looks quite nice but tbh the Facebook widget in LP is excellent and even better than friendstream.

Also my email icon has suddenly started showing unread counts with K9 :D
No idea how long it'll work for hehe

Always the problem with launchers, supporting all the different applications in the Dock bar.

Go into launcher pro preferences, go to dock settings and then tick unread gmail count :) that does the same thing but it always works :)

Upvote 0
Go into launcher pro preferences, go to dock settings and then tick unread gmail count :) that does the same thing but it always works :)

Yes I enabled it and pointed it to my K9 app as well as changing the icon in the dock and it didn't work until I went into K9.
That seems to have kick started it but whether it still works tomorrow... we'll see :)

Upvote 0
Why is it that I always want something that doesn't seem to be able to be done lol
ADW: Has dock notifications but can get a little laggy and has no widgets
LP: Has great widgets and speed but can't display unread counts unless you use gmail app (urgh...)
Go: I tried go and well... just couldn't seem to get my head around setting it up (maybe need to take another look at it) - but it doesn't have built in widgets either.
Sense: Great clock, smooth and robust, some good widgets but... well not exactly pretty is it ;)
My best world would be LP supporting more email apps in the dock but in the meantime try not to think about the unread icons.

Oh ADW does have the really useful pull down notifications swipe form anywhere on screen, meant I could hide the status bar and always have easy access to it and notifications when I wanted.

Upvote 0
Bit of a crap work around, but forward your k9 email account to Gmail. Set Gmail notification as show read count. Set swipe gesture on same icon to go to K9 app.

The only account I have set up in K9 is my gmail account.
And I did change the dock icon shortcut to point to K9 using the gmail LP icon.
Still doesn't work properly.
Strange as the same method seems to work perfectly with Handcent for SMS :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones