• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Suggest an Android Tablet

rsarno

Thank Me, Im Irish!
Jun 6, 2010
I am probably going to want an Android Tablet this year when my wife asks me what I want for christmas lol

The problem is, i dont know a lot about the options as of this moment!

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 looks insane! I love how honeycomb looks. But this is the only tab i know a lot about, so id hate to buy it and find out there was a nicer one out there.

So what should i be looking at?

i have the asus transformer, v good, v v quick, however honeycomb isnt v smooth scrolling between the home screen, download ADW laucher , all of a sudden it goes silky smooth.. well impressed... the transformer 2 is out soon, that looks stunning......

ps, the version 1 just won gadget of the year with stuff magazine, a self confessed apple loyalist....

Upvote 0
Im so torn lol.

I def want an android tablet, i definitely want honeycomb.

But i usually lean on CNET reviews to make my decision, and they rate every single android tablet as the same 4.5 stars lol

:(

Hey! Doesn't CNET rate based on a 5 star scale? That's pretty darn good if it's 4.5 stars hahaha.

I think the Galaxy series is the top of the line just because of the awesome screen...IMO. However, my other honorable mentions would be the Asus Transformer Prime (is that out yet?), Transformer and Iconia Tab in that order.

I like Asus because it seems like they are dedicated to supporting their products with timely updates.

Added link to the Transformer Prime- Looks like it's coming out in December...why don't you get a gift card to bestbuy instead. hahaha jk

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57320939-251/asus-transformer-prime-is-dressed-to-impress/

Upvote 0
Hey! Doesn't CNET rate based on a 5 star scale? That's pretty darn good if it's 4.5 stars hahaha.

I think the Galaxy series is the top of the line just because of the awesome screen...IMO. However, my other honorable mentions would be the Asus Transformer Prime (is that out yet?), Transformer and Iconia Tab in that order.

I like Asus because it seems like they are dedicated to supporting their products with timely updates.

Added link to the Transformer Prime- Looks like it's coming out in December...why don't you get a gift card to bestbuy instead. hahaha jk

Asus Transformer Prime is dressed to impress | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews

But it also depends on what you want to do with the tab, too. If you like to root, the newer Asus Transformers are supposed to have locked bootloaders. The Sammy and Acer ones do not. I don't know if the OP is into that, but I know I was disappointed when I found out my Evo 3D would come with a locked bootloader.

It's one of my shopping criteria, so I thought I would share :)

Reactions: xmr405o
Upvote 0
But it also depends on what you want to do with the tab, too. If you like to root, the newer Asus Transformers are supposed to have locked bootloaders. The Sammy and Acer ones do not. I don't know if the OP is into that, but I know I was disappointed when I found out my Evo 3D would come with a locked bootloader.

Well that's a bummer hopefully Asus will make like spike lee and do the right thing. :p

Upvote 0

You just made up my mind for me! Samsung it is! I was sold on the Tab 10.1 to begin with, but have been sold on it for months now and figured by now something much better was out. Guess not lol

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
From Technorati.com

".. the ASUS Transformer Prime will be the first tablet to launch with the NVIDIA Tegra 3 (Kal-El) quad-core processor, with 32GB and 64GB models available. It will likely have Android 3.2 out of the box, with an upgrade to Android 4.0 ICS coming very soon. The Transformer Prime will have an 8 megapixel rear camera, 1.2 megapixel front facing camera, and will onjly be 8.3mm in thickness. For comparison sake, the Apple iPad 2 has a rear camera meant for 720p video, but still shots only come in about 1 megapixel. The iPad 2 is 8.8mm. "

Reactions: rsarno
Upvote 0
What is the lowest priced full experience Android tablet?

I have made up my mind to get the Asus Prime

But now my wife would like an android tablet. She first looked at the Fire, but she wants a larger tab, and doesnt want to root, but DOES want the gmail and app store.

So whats a full sized budget tab? It sucks to have to spend $400 or $500 and all she wants to do is browse the web and play on FB lol

EDIT, if i MUST spend that kinda loot ... do i get her the Samsung 10.1 or the Asus Transformer (older model)?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones