Suggest Any Good Android GPS Apps?Tips

Last Updated:

1. kevin5fan

kevin5fan Active Member This Topic's Starter

Suggest Any Good Android GPS Apps?
    i download this App called CoPilot the full version but it only lets me download European Maps and requires a GoogleCheck out or w.e can u suggest me one please thank you!

Advertisement
  2. chunkylover53

chunkylover53 Active Member

google navigation if available where u live

3. peterc10

peterc10 Well-Known Member

Google Nav is not too bad, but it downloads maps using mobile data and does not save them, so will cost alot in data charges unless you have an inclusive package. Bits like voice search is good, other bits, like no POIs supported is not.

Other than that it is paid for apps and Copilot is the cheapest, although not the best. You can get UK for

4. chunkylover53

chunkylover53 Active Member

I have used around 10hrs of google navigation complete with voice and it ate around 25ish megs of my 150meg limit so its alright

5. peterc10

The voice does not use data, it is the map tiles it is downloading. Depends how many you need as to how much you use. And if you try it on satelite view (which is very good as long as you have a good data connection) then it really starts eating up the data.

6. kevin5fan

ok so I have to have Mobile Network or Wifi to use it right? Is there any app that just uses GPS, no need of Wifi And MoblieInternet

7. peterc10

Google Nav needs either wifi or mobile data, because it does not store maps and downloads them over the air when needed.

The two apps I mentioned in my previous post, Sygic and Copilot, are both "proper" sat nav apps. By that I mean that they include all of the maps for the area you have paid for (e.g UK, or Europe, or USA) and store those maps on your SD card with the software. They therefore do not need wifi or mobile data, and just need GPS to know where you are on the map. The only exception is that if you want to use their live traffic update facility (Sygic's is not yet working) then you will need mobile data for that.

8. kevin5fan

Is there anyway to get them for free?

9. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Not if you want to remain a member here, no. Android Forums doesn't condone software piracy. :mad:

10. peterc10

As Slug says. If you want it you are going to have to buy it, like I had to.

11. kevin5fan

no i wasn't talking about warez is there a trial demo something like that?

12. wolffie

wolffie New Member

not of sygic i just looked but you can download a trial of co pilot and while you are ;ooling around try augsatnav you'll find it on the market for free

13. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Some apps have lite/demo versions in the market, but if not you can always rely on the google market free trial thingy.

If you install an app you have 24 hours before you're charged. If you uninstall before that time you don't have to pay. (This only works once per app though).

14. kevin5fan

OMG I can't even use CoPilot on my Android 2.2

15. peterc10

Trouble with that is that is that it is just like Google Nav in that it relies upon getting maps and augmented views over the air, so uses wifi or mobile data, which is not what the OP wants.

16. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I know of two that use GPS only (and are free). One is AndNav, but I can't remember the name of the other.

17. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

I've been using copilot on my 2.2 hero (FroydVillain 1.5.0) with no problems whatsoever. Well worth the money IMO, even taking into account that google nav is free, because i have come unstuck with no data connectivity in the middle of nowhere before.

18. peterc10

IMHO at the moment free sat nav apps are worth every penny you pay for them ;) (with the exception of Google Nav)

Andnav1 relies upon Google Maps, which are very comprehansive and accurate, but you do not get turn by turn instructions and also it does not update the current location. Not a lot of good for a Sat Nav app I would suggest.

AndNav2 is in Beta and uses opensourse mapping, which relies upon people developing the maps themselves and then sharing them. For some people it works fine, others report lots of missing roads. i suspect it depends where you live. You can check the coverage here

At the moment in the UK it looks like most of the streets are drawn on the map, but many of them have not got names yet. So not a lot of use at the moment if you want to find a street that has not been named.

And finally I understand that the free app has ads, which I would find most distracting when driving. You can pay 99p and get them removed, which may be a good buy in a year or twos time when the maps are better. But I suspect by them Google Nav may having caching of the maps (download via wifi maybe?)

19. sclg

sclg New Member

If navigation isn't worth $20 or $30 to you, you don't need it :eek:

S

20. Dave Rickey

Dave Rickey New Member

Do any of these work well (or at all) with a GPS Android tablet like the Archos 5 (WiFi only, no 3G)?

--Dave

21. peterc10

There is a dedicated Archos forum on Android Forums - so guess it would be best to ask the question there. The second post down of this thread suggests that there was some sort of mapping software available. Whether that was sat nav or not is not stated.

If you google you will see that you can buy a car mount for using sat nav with it, but what sat nav is used is not clear.

Suggest an email to Sygic and copilot (made by ALK)?