Suggest some free apps to get.

Last Updated:

1. AndroidEd

AndroidEd Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I need some suggestions regarding applications to download.
    Note that I am not interested in TV, gps, etc... apps.
    I'd like some apps to be suggested, so I could get some.
    Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Have you checked out the tips tricks and apps sticky thread. Loads in there.

3. AndroidEd

Yes I have, but I am asking this for your personal opinions.

4. b0n3z

b0n3z Member

I'm a new user to the Hero and Android and I just got Shazam. I highly recommend it. Have you ever found yourself listening to a good song and not know the name of it? This app listens to the song and tells you the artist and song name. Pretty cool!

5. jimeller

jimeller Well-Known Member

google skymap is awesome. just point your camera towards the stars and see the constellations on your screen. planets too, and everything is named.

6. chaz_uk

chaz_uk Well-Known Member

Apps I use:

AndFTP - This has geven me full FTP access to my iMac enabling me to upload and download pictures and music anywhere in my house.

Android System Info - Full of geeky info on your handset if you're into that kind of thing.

Info Droid - quick access to space used on your hero, sdcard and battery life.

Kids Paint - My daughter loves this app.

MixZing Lite - this seems to be a faster music player compared to the Hero default one. I like the fullscreen widget too.

Photoshop Mobile - Quickly edit pictures stored on your phone

Wifi Analyzer - This scans for local wireless acces points and suggests an optimal channel for your wireless access point.

Wardrive - This maps wifi access points onto Google maps and lets you upload any open ecces points to Wardrive Database

Those are a few I use!

7. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Try HandCent for messaging - brilliant app & way better than the standard messaging app (does have a couple of issues though but should be resolved by further updates).

Also, you have got to try Layar.......hopefully, it will become mainstream and really big!

8. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

3G Watchdog : keeps track of your internet usage to ensure you dont exceed your contract limit

AK Notepad : Great notepad app

App Manager : lets you backup & restore apps to/from SD card

Apps Organizer : Allows you to create folders of app shortcuts on your homescreen

Astro File Manager : This is essential IMO

aTrack Dog : checks for new versions of apps

barcode scanner : reads normal and QR barcodes, use this when viewing Androlib.com on your PC for a really easy way to find and install apps.

cab4me : gets cab company phone numbers local to wherever you are

Google sky map : fun and educational app, really shows off the motion tracking capabilities of the phone

GPS Status : shows you how many GPS satellites are visible to your phone and where they are

G-Mon : hardcore wardriving app

Hungry! : Simple but effective shopping list app

iFlight UK : live departure and arrival boards for most uk airports (might be a paid app)

Keepscreen : stops apps (you select which apps) from timing out the screen

Layar : Virtual reality overlays on top of your camera view

Picsay Pro : (paid app, but there is a free lite version) fun photo editor

Movies : movie reviews and shows what's on at local cinemas (inlcluding showtimes)

Mybackup Pro : app for backup up all of your data, essential when youre upgrading firmware or doing a factory reset (paid app, but there's a 30 day free version)

Ringdroid : lets you edit mp3s and set them as a ringtone

Places Directory : Lists of stuff near you

Taskpanel : great free task manager / task killer

Twidroid : Twitter client - miles better than Peep

Wallpaper Plus : (might be paid) More flexibility & features when setting wallpapers

Wifi Analyzer : essential app for optimising and debugging your wireless network

9. nich

nich Member

Maverick : Spent too much time playing with this today! It's a free mapping app that caches the data so you can view the map without mobile-net/wifi. You can choose from several map overlays (google/open-streetmap/bing), share way points, track paths etc.

It's gone straight to the top of my favourite app list.

Last.fm : I never used to be a fan of last.fm (due to using spotify instead), however the app is great and lets me listen to new music on the go.

Meebo IM : A good app for connecting to MSN (and other chat protocols).

SkypeLite : It's not bad - don't think it supports voice, just chat.

10. AndroidEd

Amazing feedback guys. Thanks a lot. 1 question though, how do I make so when I click the messages widget app on the homescreen to get me to handcent?
    Again, thanks loads!

11. gillbee

gillbee Member

Don't think there's a way to make the default message app launch handcent, but you can delete the default shortcut from your screen and add a shortcut to handcent instead.

12. rkky

rkky Member

Look into Gmote. It's one of those apps that actually changed the way I interact with my computer. Very cool and innovative, you just have to install the gmote server on your computer and voila! You have a remote control for your computer!