Suggested Changes for the G1General

Last Updated:

1. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My main complaint is the number of keypresses required to reach the telephone touchpad. Is this device primarily a telephone?!?

I request that a future version include an optional setting that makes the first screen display the telephone keypad and time. For example, when the green telephone off-hook button is pressed, the keypad and time would be shown. I'm okay with having to press menu to unlock before actually dialing. This would reduce the number of presses to 2! If I'm only interested in the time, it would be only 1 key away.

This is a safety issue. People are driving, crossing the street, etc when trying to place a call... :eek:

Advertisement
  2. jh2ohouse

jh2ohouse New Member

The most annoying thing is when you are in a call and need to access the keypad. Why is it NOT displayed then!

There are MANY simple things like that that make me almost HATE this phone.

3. GeoUSA

Already tried that. Still too many clicks. Keypad is not even the first dialer screen that appears.

Take a chill pill, Swizz. Note that I requested it to be an option to set your default start screen.

4. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Well-Known Member

Personally I am quite glad they keypad dialer doesn't appear as the first screen, the amount of phones I have had where it has been in my pocket, the dialer screen appears and someone ends up talking to parts of my anatomy that aren't interested in talking back to them

5. buydavidarchuletanov11

buydavidarchuletanov11 Well-Known Member

Why do people feel the need to defend something as stupid as a material item; a phone?

6. jsirianni7

jsirianni7 Member

All you really have to do, no matter where on the phone you are, is hit the send key, then hit "dialer" up top............ so this can be done in two taps :)

Joe

7. jsirianni7

jsirianni7 Member

while on a call all you have to do is flip up the "5 jkl" tab in the middle bottom of the screen.

Joe

8. jabtas

jabtas Well-Known Member

Is the homepage set up differently in the US, I have a dialer icon at the bottom left
    1 tap and I'm straight to the phone keypad

9. Matt Soreco

Matt Soreco Member

Maybe so your face isn't hitting a bunch of keys when you're talking?

10. GeoUSA

Thanks for the responses. I now realize I can check the time easily. It's on the lock screen that appears and then quickly fades away. That's perfect.

I compared notes with a friend using a Treo and he must press a similar number of keys to place a telephone call. So, I guess the G1's current design may not be unreasonable. I still suggest it would be better with the option to set a preferred startup screen.

Here's is typically what I have to press to place a call for someone not in my contacts:
    1. Green off-hook button
    2. Menu to un-lock
    3. Green off-hook to enter Dialer
    4. Click the 5 - Dialer tab

11. Cryptic79

Cryptic79 VIP Member VIP Member

1 & 2 are the same across most smartphones.

0 "button" approach (after unlock):

Step 1: Slide open keyboard
    Step 2: dial number
    Step 3: ...
    Step 4: Profit

:p