• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Time is Grillin Time

tongs kinda work the best for me.

Looks like I'm back to tongs for my ribs as well. I'll now be looking for a better set of tongs :)

The trick with ribs and tongs is: large sturdy pair of tongs and to attack the ribs the long ways. So... tongs are perpendicular to the rib bones. Use the bottom part of the tongs to support the tender ribs and keep them from falling apart.

Upvote 0
never heard of a hook? post a pic so i can see even though i'm tongs all the way!:D

The hook below is very similar to the one I purchased.

images

It is twisted or pigtail and not just a hook. The one pictured is a right handed tool. They also make the opposite twist for left handed use.

Reactions: cwhatever
Upvote 0
Happy Day!!!!

After much cajoling by me, my local BJ's is now carrying St Louis style ribs. No more paying $4.00/lb from the local rip off butcher or having to butcher the !@#$ tine bones off myself and then figure out what to do with the flap meat (I hate waste). Four racks in the smoker as I type. So much better than baby backs! My squeaky wheel finally gets some grease. It is a bit sad that I'm this excited about it, isn't it?

Upvote 0
My favorite method to cooking ribs is give them a nice long boil/steam, grill/bbq. Result: excellent tender ribs that fall off the bone.

@pastafarian thankyou for enlightening me:p

Anyone into "real" BBQ cringes when they hear about someone boiling ribs. Fact is, if it works for you? It's all good!

FWIW, with a properly cooked rib you should be able to bite clean to the bone, but the meat should never fall off the bone (that's over done!)

Reactions: phw8558
Upvote 0
Happy Day!!!!

After much cajoling by me, my local BJ's is now carrying St Louis style ribs. No more paying $4.00/lb from the local rip off butcher or having to butcher the !@#$ tine bones off myself and then figure out what to do with the flap meat (I hate waste). Four racks in the smoker as I type. So much better than baby backs! My squeaky wheel finally gets some grease. It is a bit sad that I'm this excited about it, isn't it?

Good for you. I've got a great outlet for ribs... makes life much better.

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0
I typically split the shelf in half from the top side, make sure the tail is loose in the shell (but still attached.. makes it easier to eat). Season the tail as you wish and hit with a little bit of oil. Cook shell side down (time depends on how hot your grill is) until almost done... and finish briefly meat side down.

In the summer... I'll do some lime juice, a little ancho chili powder, cilantro and some olive oil (plus a little sea salt and fresh cracked pepper).
we tried something like this and turned out great. thx. of coarse i modded it some though.

Upvote 0
Good for you. I've got a great outlet for ribs... makes life much better.

On the south shore of Long Island, I've yet to find a source of BBQ related cuts.
Everyplace I've tried is either very expensive or has inconstant product. Most are both. I've found that BJ's sells cryopack product for a reasonable price. One of my local butchers when asked said he had some great brisket in the freezer for ~$9/lb. He claimed it was "so much better than that crap you buy from BJ's". He left the door to the back room slightly ajar and I could see him taking the brisket out of the cryopack, difficult since the meat was frozen. It was a flat from BJ's which I could get unfrozen for ~$4.:mad:

Upvote 0
On the south shore of Long Island, I've yet to find a source of BBQ related cuts.
Everyplace I've tried is either very expensive or has inconstant product. Most are both. I've found that BJ's sells cryopack product for a reasonable price. One of my local butchers when asked said he had some great brisket in the freezer for ~$9/lb. He claimed it was "so much better than that crap you buy from BJ's". He left the door to the back room slightly ajar and I could see him taking the brisket out of the cryopack, difficult since the meat was frozen. It was a flat from BJ's which I could get unfrozen for ~$4.:mad:

Sheesh... that's too bad. As you likely know.. I'm a trim carpenter/cabinet maker by trade. I've trimmed homes for two different top Cargill executives in the past three years. I have an inside track for beef. :) Cut from their web page: Cargill Beef is one of North America

Upvote 0
I know what you mean. Sunday I grilled out some KC strips. They were great. Last night I grilled out some all beef franks.. toasted my buns and tossed some sour kraut on them. Tonight I had a pack of red beans and rice lol. Tomorrow it may be bread and water. But hey... my steaks were great.

I'm considering trying to smoke a turkey breast next weekend. Anyone try this and have advice to offer?

Upvote 0
I know what you mean. Sunday I grilled out some KC strips. They were great. Last night I grilled out some all beef franks.. toasted my buns and tossed some sour kraut on them. Tonight I had a pack of red beans and rice lol. Tomorrow it may be bread and water. But hey... my steaks were great.

I'm considering trying to smoke a turkey breast next weekend. Anyone try this and have advice to offer?
no haven't but wife does it in a bag in oven and then we make a soup out of it after a meal, is great, a tomatoe type soup.

Upvote 0
The best advice when cooking any foul is to BRINE! There are tons of recipe's available on line that will give different flavor profiles but the main thing is at least a cup of salt per gallon of water. Overnight is fine, but at least 4 hours. No other single element will improve your results more.

Upvote 0
The best advice when cooking any foul is to BRINE! There are tons of recipe's available on line that will give different flavor profiles but the main thing is at least a cup of salt per gallon of water. Overnight is fine, but at least 4 hours. No other single element will improve your results more.

I've never tried a brine. I'll definitely do some net reading up on the subject. I was considering a butter rub with some garlic salt and poultry seasoning.... but that was just off the top of my head. I'll be smoking with apple so maybe a bit of apple juice to keep the outside moist.
We'll see once I've done my brine research. Thanks for the tip.

Upvote 0
I love Chinese, but it's one of those only every once in a while meals :D sweet and sour chicken all the way, or maybe almond chicken :p

On a side note I'm grilling some steaks tonight
i'm always grillin something, but we eat chinese every now and then. i like pork and broc, bourbon chicken, wife likes szechaun chicken and veg fried rice. most everything is good though.

Reactions: carracerz14
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones