• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Time is Grillin Time

It's near 50 here so no problem. The wind is a bit of a factor but it's not bad. Typical wind for these parts.

Rub.. spices that are rubbed on the meat prior to smoking.
I like my rub to be both hot and sweet. Sugars, salts, and dried peppers mostly with some of this and that. I mix up a big batch and keep it in a sealed canister sort of storage container. I'm just about out of my current rub mix. I will mix up some new soon. Oh, it rarely turns out the same as another batch.. but in the same vein.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
People have different tastes. I like a bit of fat in my steaks. I think it adds so much to the flavor. It's it's excessive (to me) I will cut it away as I'm eating the more lean portions. But without that fat, the meat lacks that yummy taste.
My wife refuses to cook beef liver. Something about the handling and the smell turns her off. However, she loves liver. She just doesn't like fixing it. I don't mind cooking it at all so I'm the liver cooker around here. No biggie.

Upvote 0
Venison is hella lean, to the point that you have to add pork fat when you make venison sausages. It still tastes very good, provided you cook it right.

I'm with you on a fatty steak olbriar. Cook it with it on, but trim it off to eat. Even when I do prime rib I have my FIL (until I learn how) slice it open and trim that escessive fat chunk out of the middle and slice off the bones, then he ties it closed and ties the bones back on. That way you get the bone flaver when it smokes / grills, but you don't have to cut them off when it is done.

I only used to tolerate prime rib, but smoke on the treager is delicious.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Lol. Well, you've never tasted my liver dish. Cooked just like dear ol mom. Breaded and fried with a generous amount of onion. Removed before completely done so that a large batch of gravy can be made with the drippings and partially browned onion rings. Place the quick browned liver in a baking dish and cover with the gravy and onion mix and bake until the gravy is thick on the steaks. Mmmmm.

Upvote 0
Venison is hella lean, to the point that you have to add pork fat when you make venison sausages. It still tastes very good, provided you cook it right.

I only used to tolerate prime rib, but smoke on the treager is delicious.

My mother would save her bacon grease to cook venison in. Everything we ate was fried lol. Our venison sausage was likely a third pork. It sure was good. Haven't had venison is decades. I wonder if you could smoke out a roast cut in a bacon weave and have something good?

On another note, when last is Arizona, I grilled out some burgers for the family and friends that the son-in-law had purchased. It was lean ground beef with 10 or 15% pork fat added. All I know is it was so very very tasty.

Prime rib on the Traeger is a magical thing...

Upvote 0
It was lean ground beef with 10 or 15% pork fat added. All I know is it was so very very tasty.
I make my meatload with 2/3 ground beef and 1/3 ground pork. The rest pretty much that same cracker crumbs, eggs, ontions, and peppers. Smoke on the Traeger and the pork really brings in the wood taste. My wife doesn't even like meatloaf and she'll go back for seconds on that.

Upvote 0
Well it looks like you are on course for some fun. I'm anxious to hear how it all turns out. I'll be doing my humdrum corned beef in the crock pot like always. After you brag up your end results, I'm sure the pressure will be on to attempt your cook. It sure sounds good... and fun.

Well, that was the best corned beef I've ever had. I was quite concerned throughout the process because a) it was a lot of meat and money and b) it didn't seem like what I expected during the process. I got a real cold snap here (teens in the day, single digits overnight) and I was afraid that the meat had frozen before the brine could set in. Turns out it was fine, which is good to know for the future.

I documented it here in this channel.
http://androidforums.com/threads/dont-fail-me-now-weber-igrill.1129893/

Upvote 0
olbriarWell it looks like you are on course for some fun. I'm anxious to hear how it all turns out. I'll be doing my humdrum corned beef in the crock pot like always. After you brag up your end results, I'm sure the pressure will be on to attempt your cook. It sure sounds good... and fun.
Well, that was the best corned beef I&#039;ve ever had. I was quite concerned throughout the process because a) it was a lot of meat and money and b) it didn&#039;t seem like what I expected during the process. I got a real cold snap here (teens in the day, single digits overnight) and I was afraid that the meat had frozen before the brine could set in. Turns out it was fine, which is good to know for the future.I documented it here in this channel.<a href='http://androidforums.com/threads/dont-fail-me-now-weber-igrill.1129893/' class='internalLink'>http://androidforums.com/threads/dont-fail-me-now-weber-igrill.1129893/</a>

Sample or didn't happen.

Upvote 0
Tonight I'm doing smoked teriyaki salmon for my wife and son, teriyaki sirloin tips for me and the rest of the brood, and fresh corn on the cob (I don't know where it came from, but I know it isn't local, around here the corn saying is knee high by the fourth of july).

Tomorrow it isswineapple because, well, it just looks damn good.
img_4937.jpg

Upvote 0
I was so wanting to smoke up a pork butt this weekend but I was at the cabin the entire time and just grilled instead. Nothing special. I grilled out burgers one night and brats another. My son sent me pics of his pork butt smoking... made me way jealous. I guess I'll have to invest in a smoker for down at the river.

On another note, I managed to make up a LP hose to run between my trailer and a cheap grill I bought for it. The trailer has a quick connect LP outlet just for a grill. The hard part was getting the connections to make it up with a stand alone grill vs purchasing a trailer grill. Everything is ready to rock and roll now. It should prove useful for times when it's just the wife and I down there and we stay in the trailer vs the cabin. I'll get to try it out next weekend when I'm down there while the wife is in Vegas with her girlfriends losing my money. :)

Upvote 0
Grilled some burgers last night. Had Weber Cajun seasoned chicken breasts tonight.

Everything cooked out is so much better and better for you. It's a win win deal. I'm glad you are enjoying your Weber. I've never owned one but have heard nothing but good things about them.

I grilled out chicken last night. I cooked boneless skinless thighs. I seasoned them up with a spicy rub and put them in a tall walled pizza pan to catch the drippings. Once they were close to being done, I glazed them with a sweet bbq sauce, honey, and brown sugar mix. They were yummy. Today I have a big rack of spare ribs smoking on the Traeger. They have been smoking since seven this morning. I just did bag them up and turned up the heat. Low and slow is my rib ritual. I made some potato salad and will but some seasoned beans on to bake in an hour or so. It sure smells good out back. :)

Reactions: jhtalisman
Upvote 0
@Unforgiven Have you tried pellets from Wally World? I've never used anything but Traeger pellets until recently. My son told me about the walmart pellets so I'm giving them a go. I cook exclusively with apple and they had a 20# bag for twelve bucks and change. I have been paying eighteen for Traeger pellets from my local vendor.
What I'm liking about them is they seem to be lasting almost twice as long as the Traeger.

Upvote 0
@Unforgiven Have you tried pellets from Wally World? I've never used anything but Traeger pellets until recently. My son told me about the walmart pellets so I'm giving them a go. I cook exclusively with apple and they had a 20# bag for twelve bucks and change. I have been paying eighteen for Traeger pellets from my local vendor.
What I'm liking about them is they seem to be lasting almost twice as long as the Traeger.
I should give them a go. How are they on dust? If i can save a reasonable buck I'm game.

Upvote 0
I should give them a go. How are they on dust? If i can save a reasonable buck I'm game.
I'm just half way through my first bag so I can't say about the dust. I grilled chicken and then smoked ribs on half a bag of pellets. That blows me away. I honestly could not detect any difference in smoke flavor either. I'm impressed so far. I'll keep an eye out for dust problems. It's something that I've never had a problem with.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones