Sunkist and USB Debugging!Support

Last Updated:

1. korywiesner

korywiesner Member This Topic's Starter

A couple of weeks ago my daughter (3 Years old) turned her mommy's Sunkist over on the coffee table which happened to be where my phone was sitting since the night before. Needless to say I freaked out a little bit. Luckily the battery had died and there was no power to the phone at the time. After pulling everything out of it and laying it on a dehumidifier rack (one you put in your basement not the one you make jerky in) for about 2 days so it would dry out. When I turned the phone on it worked and I was happy. I did notice that I had some issues with charging but for the most part it worked. The USB Debugging notification would come on when it was hooked only to a charger which is wrong. This went on for a day or so and then stopped.

3 days ago I had the phone on the towel rack in the bathroom while taking a shower.....When I got to work the phone would not shut up. It is constantly in and out of USB debugging. Any time I touch it it goes nuts. This primarily happens here at work. Very seldom does it happen at home. I disassembled the phone, removed the back cover, the battery, sim, SD, took the screws out of the back, pulled the boards apart at the top and cleaned them all with pipe cleaners and alcohol really well and reassembled the phone. It is still doing the same freakin thing.

My question is......how is USB Debugging initiated hardware wise? I know you go to apps>development and all that jazz to enable it......my question is what exactly happens within the phone to signal that it is time to initiate a connection. The phone doesn't think it is charging when this happens but it does reset the "time since unplugged" counter whenever this happens.

Any clues? Also, what else can I use to clean the internals of this phone that will remove any type of soda drink syrup. I have a feeling that there is a connection happening somewhere that is based on localized moisture content of surrounding air. Sunkist contains a fair amount of citric acid which when allowed to dry creates more resistance in a circuit. When exposed to even small amounts of moisture can open a path for current to flow.

What if any hardware functions and or components handle the USB port?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. korywiesner

korywiesner Member This Topic's Starter

Anybody?

3. Nu11u5

Nu11u5 Well-Known Member Developer

Not sure what hardware triggers the debugging mode on the phone. I had up to this point assumed that it would have to detect the ADB protocol over the data connection. I don't think it comes up on an other phone when connected with USB but no ADB is running - or am I wrong.

You've already done everything I would do to clean it up. My only recommendation is to try to open it up again and clean everything real well with isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs. Make sure to clean all of the contacts and IC leads as well as possible, and leave it to dry for little bit before reassembling it.

I'm not sure how to tell, but maybe the mishap did not spoil the water detector. You could always see if T-Mo will service it then.

Best of luck.

4. j0hnh0lmes

j0hnh0lmes Well-Known Member

USB Debugging will turn on when plugged in to a USB cord. ( I have a usb car charger that does it every time due to it using a usb cable.) I've even had my phone go into debugging plugging it into the wall charger a few times. I don't think ADB is required for it to go in debugging mode.