Super Amoled Blue Tint on Screen, no true whites?Support

Last Updated: 2011-01-13 17:58:40
  1. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

So I don't own a captivate, but I do own another Galaxy S phone, the Vibrant.

The vibrant forums, people aren't really responding to the blue tint. So i'm wondering if you guys on the captivate have noticed that everything that should be white, such as a white broweser window, is actually tinted blue?

If this is your first smartphone you won't notice probably, but if you own a prior LCD smartphone, try putting your screens next to eachother. Does the Galaxy S look blue?

Just wondering if I have a bad unit.

thanks

Advertisement
  2. acp

acp Well-Known Member

Definitely blue tint on white screens
  3. SamsungVibrant

SO is this just a normal native state of the Super Amoled, every Super Amoled phone is tinted blue?

If thats the case I guess thats fine, I just don't want to have a defective unit. It is kinda annoying, it is the first thing I noticed when I turned my phone on.
  4. highspeed11

highspeed11 Member

I've noticed the screen is tinted blue while it's off. Haven't really noticed it on white pages though.
  5. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

Yes, it's normal with AMOLED and more so with Super AMOLED. The big trade off is that it produces a realistic black color which makes images look a lot better.

(Your eyes will adjust to the blue tint in time....) :)
  6. KMA

KMA Well-Known Member

Isn't actually attributed to the PenTile pixel stuff? (not so much AMOLED, but AMOLED screens that employ the PenTile tech)
  7. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Well-Known Member

Great, thanks. Hadnt really noticed till you said something. Now it's gonna bother me. grrrr.
  8. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

Yeah, they went with PenTile tech to save money. :)
  9. SamsungVibrant

I'm reading online that the blue tint may be temporary, and if your phone has it, you are actually lucky. Because, I guess the BLUE leds die out really fast compared to the rest, so Samsung on purpose made the screen to over display blue, and as time goes on, the blue will die to a yellow. So if your phone is more blue today, it will last longer tomorrow.

I don't know how true that is. Read it on some forums, that is what wikipedia says also.
  10. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

Samsung tunes all of their displays (TVs and all) towards the bluer end of the spectrum because it gives the display a higher apparent brightness because our eyes perceive bluish white as being brighter than yellowish white even with no actual brightness difference.
  11. SamsungVibrant

Not my eyes, my eyes see blue white as being darker and almost gray, while yellow white is much brighter like the sun.
  12. SamsungVibrant

thanks for letting me know.
  13. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

Blue is better than pink. My Incredible is pink. Blue is just a cooler color temperature. I can deal with that.
  14. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

If there is a blueish tint to my Captivate, I neither notice it nor am affected by it, and regardless the issue would be far-outweighed by both the huge benefits of this phone, as well as much-bigger issues that need to be addressed.

If your horse has a broken leg, you don't complain about the way it smells.
  15. lilo

lilo Well-Known Member

many people complaint that IPS LCD panels (like the ones used by Apple lately) have yellow tint. Perhaps there is no such thing as "true whites"?
  16. SamsungVibrant

The yellow tint on iPhone 4 was temporary, it was some kind of chemical used in manufactoring that fades within days of use.
  17. SamsungVibrant

you are lucky
  18. mckooter

mckooter Well-Known Member

depends on how bad it smells :) (kidding)

If I look and really compare to bright whites I can notice it, but I don't mind it in the slightest. The color spectrum and the black levels are so much greater than my old iPhone 4 that im happy. I do notice with a few co workers iPhone 4's the pixel density and the true whites, but am far happier with the black levels than the pixel density
  19. Loremonger

Loremonger Well-Known Member

I only notice it when looking at it side-by-side with other phones. But, as mentioned, the true blacks and color saturation more than make up for it.
  20. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

well, if your comparing these forum just look at the background. It's already has a tint blue. I was using my captivate under this forum and noticed the blue. now im on my pc and it has a blue tint in the background.
  21. mckooter

mckooter Well-Known Member

also, i just pulled off my back cover and the battery date is 07/04/2010, i dont see any posts about this date, maybe im special

p.s. battery date info is in this very similar thread: http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/152896-screen-tint-newer-vs-older-captivate.html

maybe a mod could just merge em?

EDIT:

are you talking about the actual blue background on the default skin for this forum? if so that is not what anyone is talking about, the first post in the thread linked above will show you exactly what people mean
  22. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

Well a possible answer is that, according to something I heared in one of my electronics classes, there isnt any such thing as a TRUE white LED yet. Many "white" LEDs have hits of other colors, such as pink, yellow, and blue.

That seems to be confirmed by an article here:
    What Is True White LED? | eHow.com

Since the AMOLED is a type of LED, maybe this could a possible explaination?
  23. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

^^^ there is no white LED in AMOLED :)
    it is RGB (red+green+blue) when all 3 leds for one pixel fire up, the colors mix and you get white color. The bluish tint might be related to Pentile RGB technology in this AMOLED. I do not notice blue tint though on my Captivate, and I got one of the first batch ones (bought at release date, first at my store).
  24. noc

noc Well-Known Member

I only notice the blue tint when I put it up against my asus monitor's white. in other words it doesn't bother me ;)
  25. matt310

matt310 Active Member

Really? So then, for example, you think a car with standard halogen lights looks brighter than one with HIDs? Even when the halogen lights are on their brightest setting, to me the HIDs still look brighter because of their bluish-white tint.