Super slow wifi/router file transfers... Help!

Last Updated:

1. Roadblock

Roadblock Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Using both Astro and the ES File Explorer included with Fresh 1.0.1, I'm trying to transfer files over my wifi from my computer to my SD card..

Talk about SLOW, I could downloaded the files from the internet faster.

I transferred a 175 meg TV show, took like 30 minutes, seriously.

Any thoughts here?

Advertisement
  2. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

That's not far off from what i'm getting, which is closer to 15 - 20 minutes for a file that size. My touch pro 2 took almost an hour, so it was a huge improvement for me.

3. sitlet

sitlet Banned

If you are transferring a file from a wifi device to another wifi device, thats normal. Transferring from my wifi laptop to another wifi laptop gets about 2MB/s. Yes it is 54Mbps from the router, but you have 2 channels going each way, plus a lot of over head.

4. Roadblock

Roadblock Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Nooo that's way too slow. I just transferred the new episode of Entourage from my laptop to my EVO, took over 20 minutes.

Just for the heck of it, I tried transferring the same file from my laptop to my desktop via the same wifi, took 2 to 3 minutes.

Guess I wouldn't mind so much if I could keep ES File Explorer from sleeping. When it sleeps, or I turn the screen off, it stops transferring..

5. clamchowderz

clamchowderz Member

How are you able to send files through wi-fi? Did you have to setup a VPN?

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Well - I don't know if this will work for you guys or not.

I use AndFTP, free from the Market. I only get like .75 MB/s.

I just used it to transfer a 400 MB file[*] from my laptop to my EVO in a little under 9 minutes.

If you're interested and you're a Windows user, you'll need to run an ftp server - maybe this link will help with that if you don't already have one (does Windows include one yet??) -

Free FTP Server Software - Best Windows FTP Servers

Don't know if that will help you guys out or not.

~~~

[*]397.4 MB or 416,751,190 bytes - depending on what school of MB you guys went to, so I just called it 400.

edit - oh, yeah. I'm using OS X but I'd expect Windows to work as well - guess it might depend on several factors.

7. EarlyMon

Nah, it's not hard. Look for AndFTP, ASTRO File Manager or EStrongs File Explorer - all free in the Market, no root required.

ASTRO's pretty swell, it does WiFi OR Bluetooth - I prefer to use it with Bluetooth, personally.

None of these tools will give a nice explorer/finder type interface, but their user interfaces are good enough - might take some getting used to, depending on what you're personally accustomed to - but really, not difficult. (And that's no one's fault - an EVO screen is not big enough for other.)

EStrongs (aka ES) has a LAN and an FTP interface.

I guess I pretty much use ES for LAN, ASTRO for Bluetooth and AndFTP for FTP.

Not that I did any fancy evaluation. I started out with all three, used them, and have sorta gravitated to liking all 3 in different ways.

8. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

Before I go whole hog and set up FTP on my PC, will the FTP transfer continue with the screen locked? Because I'm currently using Astro File Manager with the SMB module, which allows me to copy from network shares. However, the transfers suspend when the screen locks.

9. EarlyMon

No soap. Suspends when locked.

Then again, it doesn't have to stay awake as long as the others, I guess.

10. EarlyMon

Any luck on this speedup tip?