1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Super User Access

1. hecass

hecass Member

I have been reading the info on rooting Optimus V.
    My question is : can the Optimus V be given super user access using ADB. Don't want to change from stock rom, just want to use a few programs that require root.
    Was going to use Gingerbreak till it tested positive for virus.
    Thanks in advance.:)

Advertisement
  2. sellersj27

sellersj27 Well-Known Member

What program defined gingerbreak as a virus? It is an exploit program, so I can see why it was flagged. Get your files from the stickies here and you should be OK.
  3. Phatninja55

Phatninja55 Well-Known Member

Gingerbreak.apk is not a virus. Anti-Virus programs think it is because it's a unix exploit to root your phone. It's 100% fine to use it.
  4. hecass

hecass Member

f-secure
  5. badblue1

badblue1 * TRUCKS ARE BEAUTIFUL * VIP Member

Gingerbreak is safe to use!
  6. hecass

hecass Member

If I do use Gingerbreak and continue using stock rom, will I be able to factory reset and or update stock rom?
  7. badblue1

+1^
  8. hecass

hecass Member

I hate to sound stupid, but what does "+1^" mean?
  9. badblue1

+1^ means that I was agreeing and thanking the post above mine.
    read the sticky at the top of the all things root page by roym6 never factory reset a rooted phone!
    Yes you can update or upgrade to a custom rom, go to the top of the all things root page, there are many and simple how to guides to follow.
  10. sellersj27

sellersj27 Well-Known Member

I've used gingerbreak on my and my wife's OV...works like a charm!!
  11. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid Guide

Factory reset=not the normal way
    Update stock normally=yes, but you wont see any updates :p there are none.
  12. hecass

hecass Member

What about using Z4Root? Any pros or cons?
  13. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

Doesn't work on the V.
    There are currently only three known ways to root the V.
    1. SuperOneClick version 1.6.4 (this will only work on the 2.2.1 V's), You have to select the Shell Root option and then push su and Busybox with shell commands. You have to have the LG Optimus V USB drivers installed on a PC and USB debugging selected on the phone.

2. The Gingerbreak.apk (this will work on all ZV4 and ZV5 fimware V's), You must enable unknown sources and USB debugging. It might take anywhere from one to 10 try's depending on screen and firmware combinations, but is completely harmless if it fails to install on any attempt.

3. The Gordita Root exploit (this will work on all firmware versions including the ZV9), there is a One click version ( EManU3LXXX Optimus V Root.zip) and Guide in the All Things Root Guide.