• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SuperOneClick Root -- Anyone try it?

I have a couple of questions. I downloaded the motorola drivers, and the root program last night. Do I need put them in seperate directories or in the same one. Also when I ran the update program some other program popped up and said my 20 of my drivers were not up to date and then wanted me to pay to complete. I deleted everything and ran my virus detector. nothing found but that kinda threw me. I am wanting to root but a bit nervous. I would like to tether without having to being raped for another 20 bucks a month.

thanks

the drivers should not ask you to pay anything to update. get the drivers directly from the motorola site.

Upvote 0
It worked for me!
This is what I did to get it to work: I took out the SD Card just to be safe. When hooked up to USB, I put it on Windows Sync Mode. Turned on debugging, of course. Clicked root on the program, and went right through the steps. Took about....I'd say no more than 30 seconds for it to run completely. So now I have a rooted DX, super excite! :D

Upvote 0
Is there any downside to doing this? Why do you need to be able to unrooot?

I've used SuperOneClick to root my Samsung Galaxy S on Froyo, apply RyanZA's One click lag fix, and then un-root again...

The un-root is for security. If a rogue app is put on your phone from either the market or elsewhere there's only so much it can do. On a rooted phone, if you give it permission without checking its pedigree it could do all kinds of things.
Android is set up to assume user level apps don't have root access, and there are consequences to this. Check the link:

Android root users passwords saved as plain text

Upvote 0
Critical Step: USB Debugging needs to be checked. Setting>Application>Development

I had to reflash 2.2 SBF and when re-rooting I was getting hung up at "Waiting for Device" I tried all different USB Modes and rebooted many times to no avail. Then.... realized I hadn't checked USB debugging. Problem Solved- Rooted in < 30 Seconds

Upvote 0
This never worked for me, even with a fresh driver install. I've been rooting phones for over a year the manual way, so no biggie. I'd like to see an app made to one click root our phones :) Hopefully we'll have one soon. I know its harder to do on 2.2 than 2.1, but hopefully someone finds a way around it.

BTW, its better for you to learn the manual way of rooting anyway. Eventually you're gonna have to learn ADB and terminal commands, so why not just read up and learn it now? :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones