SuperSonic Theories

Last Updated:

1. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so what do you guys think it will have when it comes out?
    what about pricing and plan options?
    release date/ announcement?

im thinking the 4.3 screen is going to be sweet and with a snapdragon proc with 2.1 sense UI and 4g capability is going to be pretty awesome!

does anyone know if it's supposed to be 512/512 ram rom? or 256/512 like some have said?

i really hope we hear more about it com MWC

Advertisement
  2. acp

acp Well-Known Member

first (in new supersonic forum)!!!

I've sincerely haven't been this excited about a phone before. I'm grateful for my Hero, but the Supersonic is my dream phone.

There is some good info in the Sprint forum that should be linked here, which will answer all of your questions.

http://androidforums.com/sprint/37307-supersonic-coming-sprint.html

http://androidforums.com/sprint/42264-wimax-4g-3g-cdma-htc-supersonic.html

oh! most importantly I hope it comes to Sprint. if not, I'll still be loving my Hero

3. ValdiviaENT

ValdiviaENT Active Member

I argee! This is the phone ive been waiting for along time for a phone like this! Love the hero but needs to be faster and have a bigger screen! In comes the SUPERSONIC!!

I excited and counting the days down to HTC's day WMC on the 16th!!!

4. lukeyboymac

lukeyboymac Well-Known Member

Having been a winmo user since the first ever SPV I've decided to jump ship. Having watched android come of age I was just waiting for the HD2 version and I reckon this is it. Only question is when. Suppose we'll find out soon enough but the nexus or bravo might come calling for a stop gap if it's later in the year

5. billsmed

billsmed Well-Known Member

I agree totally with you and with acp. The Supersonic is a dream phone. If all the reports I've read about this phone coming to Sprint in March are true, I hope HTC will leak leak it before the 16th like they have with the Incredible and the Legend.

People are real excited in the Incredible forum right now, but I'm a little disappointed with what I've seen so far. The Incredible is supposed to cost $100 less than the Nexus One, but chances are pretty good that it will be cheaper in other ways too. I believe it will only have a 3.5" screen, a 850MHz processor and only 256MB Ram.

Both the Incredible and the Legend will be a step up from my Sprint HTC Hero, but not enough of a step up to worry about upgrading right now.

Some of the Incredible/Bravo forum members are saying the 3.5" screen would be good enough, but that's barely a step up from my Hero. In my opinion, it's too small. People don't realize that even though you have sense that it doesn't rotate to landscape on any of the home screens and that means you end up doing most things in portrait mode. Although a good phone, my Hero is too cramped for typing in portrait and moving from 3.2" to 3.5" isn't going to help much. People were also saying how fast the Incredible is in that movie, but my Hero moves through the home screens fast too. It's when you're booting a program or doing Google searches, that you have to wait forever with the Hero.

I agree with Covert that the 4.3" screen would be sweet and it will be much more comfortable to use. The faster processor will definitely make it work better and WiMAX 4G, where available, will give the Supersonic broadband type speeds that you get on your desktop. Now we're talking. Verizon isn't expected to even start deploying 4G for a couple of more years, then it will take a long time to get it fully deployed.

Sprint currently has 35 cities covered with 4G and that's supposed to increase to 80 cities before the end of this year. I expect they'll have pretty good coverage before Verizon starts deploying their competing LTE network. In the meantime, the Supersonic will work on the CDMA network and that's one reason I think this phone will be released fairly soon. Another reason is that Sprint needs a phone to show off their WiMAX network that they have in place.

Even if the Supersonic isn't released in March, like a lot of widespread reports are indicating, it will be coming soon and will be worth the wait.

6. Covert_Death

agreed, as much as i want it to release in march, i would still be VERY happy, with just an official announcement from sprint on when it would come out, even if not till q3/q4, i want to know the phone is 100% coming sometime fairly soon, i'm very tempted to buy a moment right now but an announcement at the least is all it would take to make me hold off till this bad boy comes out :)

7. photon00

photon00 Well-Known Member

This phone really does tick all the right boxes for me. I was considering the nexus one until I saw this. I was so pumped about this phone I went into my local vodafone shop to look at the HD2. Forgive me for saying this on here, but the HD2 itself is a very nice phone. The screen looks huge but in reality the phone itself is not much bigger than the iphone. Can you imagine this phone rocking Android 2.1? I want this phone to come to the UK. March would be a dream, I'd be very happy with Q2. But I'm expecting Q3 maybe Q4. I hope there is an announcement at MWC.

8. ValdiviaENT

With you on that Convert! Love to get my hands on this in March but just a firm date on when would be great!

And I have no problem waiting on 4G in my area! 3G is faster here then when i had ATT so im fine there and then when is dose get here, let the 4G action start!!!! :)

9. wankingweiner

wankingweiner Well-Known Member

I've been hearing people saying that this phone will work on CDMA. So does this mean it wont work on GSM? If so then that's terrible news for me. Where i live we only have GSM networks, so i was hoping to buy the phone unlocked and pop my sim card in. Someone please tell me there will be GSM or unlocked version too.

10. acp

acp Well-Known Member

CDMA would be MDMA for me...cmon Sprint, JUAN TIME!

11. Covert_Death

sprint phones dont use sim cards, so even unlocked the best you could do is verizon... CDMA, it'd have to be a world release phone for that use

12. wankingweiner

do u think there's the possibility that there will be a world release? How else could this work in Europe then?

13. Covert_Death

it quiet possible but the whole reason this phone is what it is is because sprint wants a bad ass 4g WiMax phone, so i dont see the point in it launching anywhere else, no one else really has a WiMax 4g network xcept russia. so i guess what im saying is this phone just sounds like it is being MOLDED to sprint's network, which means there is not much reason to launch it anywhere else cause it'd require some pretty serious overhaulin

14. wankingweiner

there would be a point launching it elsewhere because people arent exactly getting the phone just for 4g. I would get it simply because it runs android and has a 4.3" screen.

Either way, if what u say is true, and it doesnt become available anywhere else but for Sprint, then i will be EXTREMELY disappointed. We'll just have to wait for more news i guess.

15. Covert_Death

yea that's true, i guess i just see it as that is why they are making the phone, but 4.3 is the new 3.5 so even if this doesnt world release im sure something comparable will soon

16. mbell75

mbell75 Banned

March? Sprint probably wont even have the Hero updated to 2.1 by March. To actually believe they would have a brand new phone running 2.1 by then is laughable. Summer at the earliest.

17. acp

acp Well-Known Member

....or, they are releasing both at the same time.

half glass full imo

18. Covert_Death

or it's much easier to launch a 2.1 device that has been integrating 2.1 from it's original build than it is to start fresh from a device desighned around 1.5 to 2.1....

19. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Well-Known Member

and i'm sure getting a new device out there to sell and attract new customers holds a higher priority than upgrading an operating system for current customers for free. that's just reality.

20. acp

acp Well-Known Member

Well said last 2 posts....no room for pessimism in this forum ;)

21. photon00

photon00 Well-Known Member

No news so far from HTC at MWC on the supersonic. Even though I suspected that it is too early for this phone I'm still rather disappointed.

22. ValdiviaENT

I was hoping we would find out something on it!! But the Incredible was talked about either seems like all these phone are going overseas so hopefully they put on somthing for the states! and talk about the Supersonic and Incredible!!!

23. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

Sprint had the Blackberry world phone that has a sim card in it.
    From what I've seen in rumored reports its only a US CDMA model. 3g/4g hence the name Supersonic.
    I would assume with the popularity of Android and if sales take off with the Supersonic, that a dual US/world version would be in the future (I hope) and most likely be called the HTC Traveler or Voyager or International.

TS out

24. Covert_Death

my bad i meant to say " a world phone on release" not a "world release phone" lol all the readio numbers are for sprint/ verizon, but the fact that it has included 4g means sprint bound... just hope this is the phone we all think it is and doesn't carry some outrageous pricetag