[support] - unknown process "whois" taking lots of cpu/power

Last Updated: 2012-09-30 18:32:26
  1. electricpete

electricpete Well-Known Member

I have Samsung Infuse phone running stock Rom.

Twice recently, my phone battery got hot, and battery ran down quickly.
    I don't know the circumstances of the first occasion, but on the 2nd occasion I "caught it in the act".

Here are the circumstances of the 2nd occurence.

I had Wifi network on.

I had PowerTutor running, which shows where all the power is going (by App and by function like cpu, display etc).

I noticed the phone getting hot. Battery temperature 110F even though I wasn't doing much.

I opened power tutor and saw that some application or process called "whois" is using the power (via the cpu). Screenshot below shows it's been using more power than anything else for the recent monitoring period.

Google showed me an Android App called WhoIs, also described in a thread on these wonderful forums:
    http://androidforums.com/android-ap...roid-domain-name-whois-query-application.html

Now a very important point, I do NOT have the above App (or any App called WhoIs) installed in my computer (have never installed anything like that and it doesn't show up in "my applications".

So I think it must be a program loaded by some other program that I installed.

Any ideas how to proceed to identify the cause of this program WhoIs and prevent this from occuring again?

Looking at attachment, does the Icon for this WhoIs tell you anything... is it the same one in the link above?

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. electricpete

See first post for discussion.
    2nd post (this one) deleted by original poster.
  3. electricpete

I think I have answered my own question now.
    PowerTutor has stats built in for each of these "Apps".
    This one is associated with the following Packages:
    mobi.mgeek.whois
    mobi.mgeek.WikipediaSearch
    com.dolphin.pocket
    mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser.

So it is something to do with Dolphin browser.
  4. Rachel A

Rachel A Well-Known Member

Harry2 likes this.
  5. electricpete

Thanks
    I focused on WhoIs initially because that was present on the PowerTutor summary screen.
    When I investigated later into the detailed screen, I found PowerTutor links this usage to all four processes in the detailed screen (it doesn't seem to know which of them used the power). It is certainly possible (if not likely) that the decision by PowerTutor on which of these four processes to display on summary screen was completely arbitrary.

Since the add-in is not important to me, I'm deleting it to cover the bases. But I'm also still wary of Dolphin HD... plenty of discussion of excess battery drain (possibly intermittent and depending on memory) so I am gravitating toward other browsers and will keep a close eye on Dolphin HD when I use it.
  6. electricpete

azurefish,

I generally try to close things out completely. I have a "running programs" widget (Elixir Widgets) on my screen and if it shows any running programs I go back in to them (accessed by tapping the widget) and then exit so they disappear from the widget. I'm sure when I investigated the battery drain there were no programs showing as running on the widget.

I hope it was clear this was not an "every time" occurrence. It was a weird scenario where battery started dropping very quickly and battery got unusually hot considering I was not doing much with the phone. I noticed this only twice and it was investigation upon the 2nd occurrence that led me to Dolphin.

So the fact that you don't have the problem is not surprising. If you do encounter unexpected battery drain, that is the time to investigate to see if you have similar problem.