Supported Wireless Types?General

Last Updated:

1. OrigninalPranksta

OrigninalPranksta New Member This Topic's Starter

Im trying to figure out if the Eris can only detect wireless routers with certain authentication types? My phone does not recognize my wireless router, yet all other mobile devices and laptops are able to see and connect just fine. Im using WPA2 encryption type for the pw, which is over 30 chars. long. Is this an issue?

Advertisement
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be. I use WPA2 just fine. I could see maybe that the password is too long though. Try making it a bit smaller and see if that makes a difference.

3. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Some newer devices require a hexadecimal phrase/password.

4. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

There have been a number of problems reported that vary depending on the router vendor, firmware revision, router configuration, et cetera.

The most common problems reported have to do with Wireless-N usage, "mixed" mode wireless configuration (more than one of N, G, B, or A), or SSID Broadcast suppression.

Chances are that you can get it to work - WPA2 by itself should not be an issue. My guess is that it is something else.

You will probably need to experiment to see what works. My recommendation to you would be to "simplify" the router's configuration as much as possible. (e.g., if all your devices can speak wireless-G, and you have less than 30-40 Mbits/sec pipe to the outside world, and you do not stream video between devices in your LAN, then set the router to Wireless-G only, rather than B+G.

I wouldn't bother turning off Beacons (SSID broadcast) - that provides no measurable security benefit, and only make client devices behave in a fussier manner.

eu1