Sure wish VZW\Motorola were more forthcoming

Last Updated:

1. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Want to get the Droid so bad right now, but i'm so afraid that Droid 2 will be out in 2-3 months and that VZW won't let me trade in my few months old Droid for a Droid 2. Then I either have to pay full price or wait for two years knowing I could have had something better if I woud have just waited.

Sure wish they were more open with information about future release dates or even offered some kind of discounted trade in program. And I know that there will always be something better just around the corner but if you get in right from the start, that corner may be at least 6 months away.

Advertisement
  2. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

thats just the nature of the beast man. there is always something right around the corner.

3. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Well-Known Member

There's a way you can do this...you buy the phone at the full price and then Verizon can do nothing when you want to trade in. When you buy a phone from Verizon like the Droid, you are paying $200 for it and Verizon gives that $200 plus another $200 or so to Motorola, they lock you in for 2 years and make you pay your monthly dues so they can make that money back that they had to pay for you to have your phone at the $200 price you paid for it. Wireless carriers LOSE money on phones but more than make it back in your service contract. If you want to upgrade your phone willy nilly anytime you please, buy the phone outright, then when another comes out you want, sell the current one on ebay and buy the new one outright as well.

Oh, and in the technology world, there will always be something a little better in 6 months-1 year from now...always.

4. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

Are Apple or Volkswagen open about their upcoming products? No, they want you to desire the newest and best of each model.
    Just buy what you want, enjoy it and move onto the next best thing. Verizon doesn't make these phones, they just provide a service and sell them, at your benefit, for a steeeep discount.

5. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Good luck. It's this way with all carriers and manufacturers and I don't see things changing any time soon. You can rely on rumors if you want but I find them to be highly unreliable even from the best sources. If you want it now, I suggest making your purchase decision based on what has been officially announced.

6. s1njin

s1njin Well-Known Member

Do a hybrid approach. Sign up for a 1 year contract. It only cost me a additional 30 bucks for my Droid, and I can upgrade when the new sexiness comes out in short order.

7. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

There is always going to be something just around the corner, but I would wait before going with the Droid right now. I would say jump on it, but unless you pay full price, you're stuck with a phone for two years, and it's already looking a little old with all the Snapdragon phones coming out. In 2 years, the Droid will really be looking old, I think. What about the Incredible? The only downside I've seen is the screen in sunlight issue, but if that's not a big deal, I'd probably go with that.

8. chippy

chippy Well-Known Member

Buy full retail price dude.

9. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

If you go over to howardforums, they got a few guys on the inside that know about the release dates of these upcoming phones. I'm pretty sure both the Droid2 and Shadow are coming out sometime around August.

The Shadow will be my next phone:

[​IMG]

10. thenew3

thenew3 Well-Known Member

another option is to buy a gently used droid for about $200, get on a month to month plan with verizon, when the droid 2 comes out, then sign up for a 1 or 2 year contract and get the droid 2 for the promotional price, sell your droid at that time and recuperate some of your costs.

11. DDG

DDG Well-Known Member

Just keep waiting. That way you will never be disappointed.

FYI - I just spke to my contact at Motorola. She said they were waiting for some guy named Joe to by the "old DROID", then they will release the new one as soon as the 30 exchange/return window is over.

12. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

I like the two options given above.

1) Buy one at a one year contract
    2) Buy one used.

I wouldn't buy this at full retail though.

13. bose301s

bose301s Well-Known Member

Droid 2 and Shadow are the same device.

14. shizzy1427

shizzy1427 Well-Known Member

Wrong. Very wrong.

15. Nicks88

Nicks88 Well-Known Member

16. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I thought the rumor was the Shadow would have no keyboard and the Droid 2 would still come with an updated keyboard.

As for all the suggestions, as I said, I do relaize there will always be something better in the works. But since this will be my first smartphone, i'd like to jump in with something new even if it meant waiting just a little while longer to get it. If I knew of a rough timetable, then I would know what to do. For instance, if it's August then I can wait. If it's November (which I read on another website was the rumor), then i'd just get the Droid now on a one year contract. As for getting the Incredible, not a big fan of it really after playing with it and the Droid at a VZW store. I like having a physical keyboard. I don't like Sense. I don't like the fact that when updates are available I still have to wait for HTC to update Sense before it's released. I like the sturdier feel of the Droid. Plus, it's sold out everywhere so i'd have to wait for it anyways. Andif i'm going to wait, i'd rather wait for a Droid 2.

17. bose301s

Hmm, there is a lot of conflicting info about that out there, would be sweet if they were 2 separate devices so that we get even more options.

18. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

The info is all here:

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Android

The Droid 2 and Shadow are separate devices. The Shadow is a 4.1" - 4.3" touch screen only device, while the Droid 2 is a refresh of the current Droid design, and will maintain the 3.7" screen and physical keyboard.

There are two Verizon insiders there that have provided the information. I believe they were also the ones who released much of the info regarding the first Droid as well.

19. bose301s

Very cool, I haven't used HowardForums in a long time, since I was looking at seem editing my KRZR a few years ago.

20. Haywire

Haywire Well-Known Member

Is it droid 2 or the shadow running motoblur? In any case, methinks I'll stick with the 1st (rooted and overclocked of course!)