SUroot

1. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

A big hats off to Dan for putting up with A LOT of n00b questions and holding my hand during my first root and flashing adventure!!

Thanks ol' buddy!! :)

Advertisement
  2. edwardmlyte

edwardmlyte Well-Known Member

Here here. He helped me out last summer with my first rooting.

Cheers dude, and to the community general for being very helpful and patient.
    SUroot likes this.
  3. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

Big hand to danfrance for putting up with the recent influx of none reading ignorant suck it and see type individuals when i couldnt cope anymore and stopped helping for a bit

(needed to take a break, same questions constantly through lack of reading was making me rage)

thats not aimed at you btw lecter
    SUroot likes this.
  4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Cheers dudes. I enjoy helping and answering questions, so no worries. Its pretty much the only reason I keep coming back. Questions of my own tend to go to XDA now ;)
    alekos, Lmkt, InfernalByte and 2 others like this.
  5. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member

Dan and others also helped me out with my first rooting and flashing adventure!

To anybody who is considering rooting and flashing, I would encourage them to not be scared or worried. We were all new to this business at one time or another, and have gone on to offer differing amounts of advice to new members who need help or guidance. That's what makes this forum a great place for all things Android related. :)
    SUroot, ianb11 and Eris Ed like this.
  6. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

Well said :)
    SUroot likes this.
  7. snowwhite

snowwhite Well-Known Member

Defo guys awesome helped me so much his faq awesome aswell
    SUroot likes this.
  8. rowlers

rowlers Well-Known Member

Forum hero!
    SUroot likes this.
  9. shauny13

shauny13 Well-Known Member

Since i have joined this fantastic forum as a noob, i have debranded, rooted, custom rom, 1gb a2sd+ partition with gparted, s-offed, flashed a new recovery, fonts, clock etc etc all with the help of you great guys. Never realised this phone was capable of so much more than the crap it arrived with from orange. A huge thanks again to you all. This root section is now top of my bookmarks list & i am even helping out some noobs myself now!
    SUroot likes this.
  10. Rastaman-FB

thats the best thing about it, the learning is fast and logical onces youve grasped it you wonder how you found it difficult

i dont like pushing people to root however i do thing the people who dont do it are missing out on the majority of what the android os is about
    SUroot and shauny13 like this.
  11. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Well-Known Member

Is that because were not clever enough for you? Eh? Hmmm? Is it?

Threeeeee cheeeeeeers for Daneeeeeeeeeeefranceeeeeeeeeeeee :D
    SUroot likes this.
  12. InfernalByte

and The Rastaman. Yey
    SUroot and Rastaman-FB like this.
  13. SUroot

Generally I need dev help now :)

Although, if you're up for a challenge:

Why is this:

Code (Text):
    1. #!/system/bin/sh
    2. #
    3. /system/xbin/busybox mkdir /mnt/asec/ext
    4. /system/xbin/busybox mount -o dirsync,noatime,nodiratime /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /mnt/asec/ext
    5. /system/bin/e2fsck_recvy -y -v -f /mnt/asec/ext/ext2
    6. /system/xbin/busybox mount -o loop,noatime,nodiratime,sync,nosuid,nodev /mnt/asec/ext/ext2 /data
    7. #/system/xbin/busybox swapon /mnt/asec/ext/swap
    8. chown 1000.1000 /data
    9. chmod 771 /data
    10. exit
    Causing me to hang at splash if flashed as part of, or adb push after gingervillain 0.8, yet no problems on 0.7?
  14. flyte

flyte Well-Known Member

pshhhaww... you don't know why!? That's simple!

But seriously - how do you like GV? Is it worth moving from DF 6.1a? Any new feature make it worth it (better battery usage, or other things like that?) The text selection / cut / copy thing isn't a game changer imo (especially if coming from sense)
  15. SUroot

hehe. replied to this on XDA...

But anyway:

It was worth it for me as I hadn't flashed anything in a while and was getting itchy feet. However, it was the right choice. Nice aesthetic tweaks from GB etc.

Its still in its infancy so its hard to say whether its the right choice for you. I haven't even looked into Oxy to be honest. One of the reasons I love DF is the CM additions. Mainly whats missing for me is the battery % and colour status / pull down.
  16. flyte

flyte Well-Known Member

Can't you get those features by cooking a theme from UOT? It supports GV. Do any apps / widgets not work with it?

edit: sorry for posting on both forums!
  17. SUroot

Hahah, post where ever you like matey :)

Yeah you can, but I like it all to be contained within the rom. not a fan of using external themes. I'm happy to miss it until it returns more than to flash a theme.
  18. flyte

flyte Well-Known Member

Any widget/app not work in GV thus far?

...kicking off MyBackup Root now... feeling like I need to switch to GV!

Do I need S-off to do this?
  19. SUroot

Not found any widgets that I use to not work.

To be honest, data2sd is hard to wipe, so I was naughty and I didn't do one and everything I had in DF 6.1 seems to work fine (for me anyway)

No s-off. Just like flashing any other rom. Just nandroid and titanium / mybackupo etc first
  20. flyte

flyte Well-Known Member

I don't use Data2SD, so I don't think I should have any issues.

ps: here's a hint - when the wife wants to watch a chick flick (in this case, You Again), flash a new ROM. It makes it go by much easier ;)
  21. SUroot

I have to wait until she goes to bed ;)
  22. flyte

flyte Well-Known Member

My quadrant scores are no where near what they were with DF 6.1a, with the same kernel (0.6HAVS 1113Mhz + BFS 925mV or 6.0c SVS 1190mhz + BFS). It seems to also miss one of the 3D rendering benchmarks.

Also, swype FC's on me :(..
  23. InfernalByte

I think you forgot to insert this somewhere :rolleyes:

[/QUOTE]

mount -o remount,rw /life
    format life:
    unmount /life x_x

[/QUOTE]
    SUroot likes this.
  24. Rastaman-FB

did he remove swap support on the kernel?
  25. diS

diS Well-Known Member

I'd like to thank Dan to, he helped me with all of my questions. Some of them were quite silly, but he still helped me... I love him!
    SUroot likes this.