• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Surprise Boot Loop

If you've successfully run an RUU several times and it didn't correct the issue, that unfortunately points to hardware/emmc failure. No amount of custom recovery or restoring of backups will fix that. The RUU should restore everything to full stock and clean up any issues. When that fails, then there's nothing else that can be done. The emmc on the device might just be bad.

Reactions: saltire
Upvote 0
Just thought I'd post finally to say that this story has a happy ending... I contacted HTC support on web chat and after asking for my IMEI number they spotted via HTC dev that I had unlocked the bootloader. They said they could try and repair it but I'd be charged. I said fine and sent it in to them, after setting CID back and changing back to S-ON. Bootloader was still unlocked.

A few days later I get an email back saying it's been posted back to me, nothing more. Turns out they've repaired it free of charge! I didn't have to supply proof of purchase at all. This is good behaviour from HTC in my opinion - it was within warranty and despite the unlocked bootloader it looks like it was a hardware fault.

Thanks again for the support on these forums, it was really helpful :)

Upvote 0
IDK how similar are and I'm happy that the folks on this forum helped. Here's my dilemma. I received a prompt for HTC software upgrade. While my phone was on wall charge I activated the upgrade. I read where it said that during the course of this upgrade my phone would be inactive, this would be for approximately 40 minutes.
Well after an hour I tried to turn on my phone and got nothing but two green arrows forming a circle with a static download arrow in the middle. The device vibrates and shuts on and off but does nothing else. The battery ran down to 0% and then I wall charged it for 2 hrs.+ and I still have a brick.
I contacted HTC support and they gave me instruction on doing a reset even though I told the tech the phone doesn't respond to any buttons including the no/off. I'm pissed off that I've had this phone for 17 months and I cancelled the insurance on it after one year. The insurance cost $14.+ a month times 12 =$168. per year with a $150. deductible that's $318. for a the year. Most issues I've ever had with phones I/we have been able to fix and I don't loose them any more so keeping the insurance seemed like waste of money. In hand sight I may have been penny wise and pound foolish.
Any suggestions one may have is appreciated. I've even search the web for lawsuits on faulty software.

Upvote 0
@Androidwes can you power on the phone and boot to the bootloader? And what carrier are you on?

If you can get to bootloader ok, it will be useful to get a screenshot of your bootloader screen, or boot your phone to the bootloader and post what's on the screen - specifically whether the bootloader is "Locked" or "Unlocked" and whether the phone is S-ON or S-OFF. Do you have a Win PC/laptop with the adb/fastboot tools installed? You can get it here if not:

ADB Guide (updated 2014/11/11)

along with instructions to install.

Reboot phone to bootloader and plug in to PC (so you see FASTBOOT USB on bootloader screen). Open a command prompt window in the adb/fastboot folder on your PC - if in Explorer hold shift + right click, and pick "Open command window here" from context menu.

Then type:

fastboot devices (this is to check fastboot connects to phone ok, it should also return the phone serial number)

If it does, then type:

fastboot getvar all

and post the info the command returns but scrub out your IMEI number and serial number before posting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones