• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Survey: Hardware/Firmware Revisions and Is Your Phone Working?

baddress

Jul 23, 2010
MODS - PLEASE STICKY

OK Let's try to get to the bottom of this. We need the following information:

Just copy and paste and we'll compare answers:

The hardware revision is located on the serial number sticker behind the battery, and the battery date is located on the battery itself. All the other settings are in Menu->Settings->About Phone.

1. Phone Hardware Revision =
2. Phone Firmware Revision =
3. Phone Baseband version =
3b. Phone Kernel Version =
4. Does your GPS function properly? =
5. How many hours of moderate use can you get one one full battery charge? =
5B. Battery date =
6. How much % of battery does it take to make one 5-minute phone call? =
7. What launcher are you using? (touchwiz, adw, launcher pro, etc) =
8. Do you have auto-updating widgets on the home screen? =
9. Are you using a task killer (which one?) =
10. Do you have background data sync enabled? =
11. Are you experiencing more than a minor amount of lag? =
12. Does your "back" soft button respond normally or is it hard to press? =
13. Are you using activesync/exchange? =
14. Does your wifi work properly? =
15. Have you rooted? =
16. Does Voice Dial work with your contacts? Are your contacts in Gmail or somewhere else? =

Any other comments you care to add:

1. Phone Hardware Revision = REV 0.4
2. Phone Firmware Revision = 2.1update1
3. Phone Baseband version = I897UCJF6
3b. Phone Kernel version = 2.6.29 jetaek.less@sep-11 #2
4. Does your GPS function properly? = NO, takes 3-5 minutes to get a lock outside in the clear (and sometimes never)
5. How many hours of moderate use can you get one one full battery charge? = 6-8 hours with light use. freshly restarted in airplane mode the whole time is 14 hours on a full battery
5B. Battery date = 2010.06.09
6. How much % of battery does it take to make one 5-minute phone call? = 10-15%
7. What launcher are you using? (touchwiz, adw, launcher pro, etc) = touchwiz
8. Do you have auto-updating widgets on the home screen? = yes, weather, every 2 hours
9. Are you using a task killer (which one?) = no
10. Do you have background data sync enabled? = yes
11. Are you experiencing more than a minor amount of lag? = yes
12. Does your "back" soft button respond normally or is it hard to press? = very hard to press
13. Are you using activesync/exchange? = Yes, exchange push
14. Does your wifi work OK? = No it does not connect to cisco enterprise AP's and it drops off alot a home.
15. Have you rooted? = No

Upvote 0
2. Phone Firmware Revision = 2.1 Update 1
3b. Phone Kernel Version = 2.6.29 jetaek.lee@sep-11 #2
4. Does your GPS function properly? = YES
5. How many hours of moderate use can you get one one full battery charge? = 14
5B: Battery Date = 2010.07.03
6. How much % of battery does it take to make one 5-minute phone call? = ???
7. What launcher are you using? (touchwiz, adw, launcher pro, etc) = ADW (better battery life)
8. Do you have auto-updating widgets on the home screen? = No
9. Are you using a task killer (which one?) = Yes, TasKiller
10. Do you have background data sync enabled? = Yes
11. Are you experiencing more than a minor amount of lag? = NO
12. Does your "back" soft button respond normally or is it hard to press? = NORMAL
13. Are you using activesync/exchange? = NO
14. Does your wifi work properly? = YES
15. Have you rooted? = YES
ADW seemed to give bettery battery life. Default GPS setting give me a fix in about 20 seconds. MTP App (used to sync with Kies) wouldn't work with LauncherPro or ADW, have to switch to TouchWiz to successfully sync with Kies.

Upvote 0
1. Phone Hardware Revision = Rev 0.4
2. Phone Firmware Revision = 21. update 1
4. Does your GPS function properly? = NO
5. How many hours of moderate use can you get one one full battery charge? = To early for me to tell... I have been using the phone heavily so I only get 5 hours. No problem I know I'm causing it.
5B. Battery date = 2010.07.08
6. How much % of battery does it take to make one 5-minute phone call? = Don't know
7. What launcher are you using? (touchwiz, adw, launcher pro, etc) = TW
8. Do you have auto-updating widgets on the home screen? = Yes
9. Are you using a task killer (which one?) = Advance Task Killer
11. Are you experiencing more than a minor amount of lag? = Minor
12. Does your "back" soft button respond normally or is it hard to press? = Easy
13. Are you using activesync/exchange? = Exchange
14. Does your wifi work properly? = Cuts out at times

Upvote 0
1. Phone Hardware Revision = rev 0.4
2. Phone Firmware Revision = 2.1-update1
4. Does your GPS function properly? = no
5. How many hours of moderate use can you get one one full battery charge? = 6 hours? Not really tested.
5B. Battery date = 2010.07.01
6. How much % of battery does it take to make one 5-minute phone call? = untested
7. What launcher are you using? (touchwiz, adw, launcher pro, etc) = Touchwiz
8. Do you have auto-updating widgets on the home screen? = yes
12. Does your "back" soft button respond normally or is it hard to press? = usually ok
13. Are you using activesync/exchange? = no
14. Does your wifi work properly? = yes
15. Have you rooted? = no

Upvote 0
The hardware revision is located on the serial number sticker behind the battery, and the battery date is located on the battery itself. All the other settings are in Menu->Settings->About Phone.

2. Phone Firmware Revision = 2.1 update 1
3. Phone Baseband version =I897ucjf62.6.29
4. Does your GPS function properly? = It has never worked, at all.
5. How many hours of moderate use can you get one one full battery charge? = a lot less than I had hoped. I fully charged it Sunday night, barely touched on Monday, used it a few times on Tuesday and it's gasping for battery again.
5B. Battery date = 2010.06.20
6. How much % of battery does it take to make one 5-minute phone call? = Can't really say. Battery life is shorter than I expected.
9. Are you using a task killer (which one?) = Advanced Task Killer
11. Are you experiencing more than a minor amount of lag? =no lag
12. Does your "back" soft button respond normally or is it hard to press? = It's fine
13. Are you using activesync/exchange? = no
14. Does your wifi work properly? = the few times I've used it, yes.

I would suggest adding one more question: Does voice-dial work on your phone using the Google voice search? A few people have reported on other fora that it works for them (using a format like "Call Mary Jane mobile") but most people say it does not and will not work.)

Upvote 0
2. Phone Firmware Revision = 2.1 update1
3b. Phone Kernel Version = 2.6.29 jetaek.lee@sep-11#2
4. Does your GPS function properly? = Most of the time
5. How many hours of moderate use can you get one one full battery charge? = A little over 24 hours. I am one of those people that charge the phone each night though.
5B. Battery date = 2010.06.23
6. How much % of battery does it take to make one 5-minute phone call? = Not much
7. What launcher are you using? (touchwiz, adw, launcher pro, etc) = launcherpro plus
9. Are you using a task killer (which one?) = Yes, Advanced Task Killer (paid version)
10. Do you have background data sync enabled? = Yes, google works, facebook and myspace do not work all the time
11. Are you experiencing more than a minor amount of lag? = No
12. Does your "back" soft button respond normally or is it hard to press? = Responds normally
13. Are you using activesync/exchange? = No
14. Does your wifi work properly? = Yes, wifi is great on this phone
16. Does Voice Dial work with your contacts? Are your contacts in Gmail or somewhere else? = Yes. All Contacts are synced with Gmail

Upvote 0
1. Phone Hardware Revision = Rev. 0.4
4. Does your GPS function properly? = Haven't tried
5. How many hours of moderate use can you get one one full battery charge? = At work, usually about 70% of the battery is drained. I'd otherwise guess between 15-18 hours.
5B. Battery date = 2010.06.24
6. How much % of battery does it take to make one 5-minute phone call? = Maybe a couple %. I haven't paid much attention to this.
7. What launcher are you using? (touchwiz, adw, launcher pro, etc) = LauncherPro/ADW
8. Do you have auto-updating widgets on the home screen? = Just beautiful widgets
9. Are you using a task killer (which one?) = Advanced Task Killer
11. Are you experiencing more than a minor amount of lag? = Here and there, but nothing that seems out of the normal
12. Does your "back" soft button respond normally or is it hard to press? = Responds normally
13. Are you using activesync/exchange? = Yes
14. Does your wifi work properly? = Yes.
15. Have you rooted? = Nope, don't plan on it either.
16. Does Voice Dial work with your contacts? Are your contacts in Gmail or somewhere else? = Have not tried voice dial. Contacts are in GMail

The phone works completely fine. Signal seems weaker than the iPhone 4's for whatever reason though and battery life is nowhere close to that of what I got with the iPhone 4 as well.

Heavy use out of the iPhone 4 used up only about 50-60% of the battery by the end of the work day, and I mean gaming, web browsing, texting, you name it. With this phone, it's more like 60-70% of the battery gone after moderate use. Maybe it has to do with my battery? Who knows.

That aside though, I do like the phone a lot and I'm really anxious for Froyo to come out for it.

I'm curious as to people who have compared ADW launcher and LauncherPro: which one is getting you better battery life? I haven't tested this too thoroughly myself, so I'm curious. I saw one reply where that mentioned ADW launcher netted better battery life, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, or the opposite compared to LauncherPro... there have been at least a few around here though that have mentioned ADW launcher giving them better battery life.

Upvote 0
1. Phone Hardware Revision = (where can I find that?)
2. Phone Firmware Revision = 2.1 update1
3b. Phone Kernel Version = 2.6.29 jetaek.lee@sep-11#2
4. Does your GPS function properly? = Tested couple times and was working well
5. How many hours of moderate use can you get one one full battery charge? = Between 25-30 hrs
5B. Battery date = (where can I find that?)
6. How much % of battery does it take to make one 5-minute phone call? = Not tested
7. What launcher are you using? (touchwiz, adw, launcher pro, etc) = LauncherPro (so far free version)
9. Are you using a task killer (which one?) = Advanced Task Killer (free version)
10. Do you have background data sync enabled? = Yes, Google, Twitter and Facebook.
12. Does your "back" soft button respond normally or is it hard to press? = Sometimes has a delay (because of Invisible Shiled?)
13. Are you using activesync/exchange? = No
14. Does your wifi work properly? = Yes (home and work)
16. Does Voice Dial work with your contacts? Are your contacts in Gmail or somewhere else? = Not tested

Upvote 0
You might want to add to this survey:

Using cell network towers enabled vs. the default of off (GPS).

Did you do the tweaks such as enabling skyhook or dialing in the special codes to change how your GPS works?

When you have any problem with GPS, which App are you using trying to use GPS?

Where are you trying to use the GPS when you have problems? (Car, Outside, Indoors, under Tree Cover, etc.)

Upvote 0
3b. Phone Kernel version = 2.6.29 jetaek.lee@sep-11 #2
4. Does your GPS function properly? = Most of the time, honestly haven't relied on it much exclusively
5. How many hours of moderate use can you get one one full battery charge? = I haven't drained it completely yet, I went 39 hours and only used 64% of my battery life.
5B. Battery date = 2010.06.21
6. How much % of battery does it take to make one 5-minute phone call? = No more than 2-4%
7. What launcher are you using? (touchwiz, adw, launcher pro, etc) = LauncherPro
8. Do you have auto-updating widgets on the home screen? = Clock & Weather (every hour)
9. Are you using a task killer (which one?) = No
12. Does your "back" soft button respond normally or is it hard to press? = I feel like I have to hit it twice every once in a while
13. Are you using activesync/exchange? =
14. Does your wifi work OK? = Yes, it has surprised me sometimes finding networks
15. Have you rooted? = No, not yet.
16. Does Voice Dial work with your contacts? Are your contacts in Gmail or somewhere else? = Haven't tried any voice activated stuff and I dont use Gmail for anything

Upvote 0
2. Phone Firmware Revision = 2.1-update 1
4. Does your GPS function properly? = Not really, did the "fix" and its better but still having the same problems as every one else
5. How many hours of moderate use can you get one one full battery charge? = 16+ hours
5B. Battery date = 6.27.10
6. How much % of battery does it take to make one 5-minute phone call? = negligible
8. Do you have auto-updating widgets on the home screen? = yes, weather + FB
11. Are you experiencing more than a minor amount of lag? = no
12. Does your "back" soft button respond normally or is it hard to press? = no
13. Are you using activesync/exchange? = exchange
14. Does your wifi work properly? = seems to. no noticeable issues
16. Does Voice Dial work with your contacts? Are your contacts in Gmail or somewhere else? = havent tried

Any other comments you care to add:I had severe battery issues when i first purchased this phone. I would have to charge my phone 3 times a day or so. Last saturday i noticed that I was no longer able to receive phone calls. At that time on my phone i was running launcher pro with juice defender and was having horrible battery issues and lag. AT&T told me to do a factory reset on my phone, which not only fixed my problems but has fixed every other issue I have had. Since that moment my battery has been king, way better than my iphone 3G. I have had no lag. I decided not to install juice defender or launcher pro again because i have not had any reason too. the last 4 days this phone has performed better than it did the first 6 days. Right now i have contacts syncing with FB and exchange, the weather channel widget, engadget widget, wifi, all enabled. I have taken 5 phone calls, sent over 100 texts, 50+ emails and i still have 72% battery. Haven't had my phone plugged in for over 7 hours. Same type of usage and before I went to be phone hadnt been plugged in for 17 hours and had 50% or so left.

Upvote 0
1. Phone Hardware Revision = 0.4
3b. Phone Kernel Version =2.6.29 jetaek.lee@sep-11 #2
4. Does your GPS function properly? = NO, never know if it will lock on immediately or take 5 minutes or not lock on at all, and the accuracy is not good.
5. How many hours of moderate use can you get one one full battery charge? = 9-14 hours, depending on what you mean by moderate
5B. Battery date = 2010. 06. 27
6. How much % of battery does it take to make one 5-minute phone call? = Just tested, it went from 68% to 67% after 5 minute phone call.
7. What launcher are you using? (touchwiz, adw, launcher pro, etc) = Mostly launcherpro, but I still switch between touchwiz and adw as well
9. Are you using a task killer (which one?) = No
11. Are you experiencing more than a minor amount of lag? = Yes
12. Does your "back" soft button respond normally or is it hard to press? = All of my soft buttons work fine, unless the phone is plugged into the charger. I know it sounds stupid, but when I plug it in they barely work. Anyone else experiencing that?
14. Does your wifi work properly? = Yes
16. Does Voice Dial work with your contacts? Are your contacts in Gmail or somewhere else? = Yes, contacts are synced with google

Any other comments you care to add: I haven't had any trouble with the battery. When I first got it I charged it fully (like it says to do in the manual) then let it die completely and repeated this a couple times. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not

Upvote 0
1. Phone Hardware Revision = 0.04
3b. Phone Kernel Version = 2.6.29 - jetaek.lee@sep-11 #2
4. Does your GPS function properly? = Mostly, sometimes strays a little
5. How many hours of moderate use can you get one one full battery charge? = 8-15
5B. Battery date = 6-27-2010
6. How much % of battery does it take to make one 5-minute phone call? = 1% or less
7. What launcher are you using? (touchwiz, adw, launcher pro, etc) = ADW - Touchwiz completely disabled (not running)
8. Do you have auto-updating widgets on the home screen? = RetroClock, Agenda, power control, Accuweather Quick
9. Are you using a task killer (which one?) = Advanced Task Manager Lite
10. Do you have background data sync enabled? = 50-50 (yes on wifi only)
11. Are you experiencing more than a minor amount of lag? = Little to none after disabling touchwiz and ATT apps
12. Does your "back" soft button respond normally or is it hard to press? = Easy to press, sometimes lags (watch your light to see if its HW or software not responding)
14. Does your wifi work properly? = Yes - better than expected (ad-supported apps lock alot if they fail to get page from wifi/3g, like train tunnels)
15. Have you rooted? = Yes
16. Does Voice Dial work with your contacts? Yes, but I hardly use it
Are your contacts in Gmail or somewhere else? = both, and both work

Any other comments you care to add: I love this phone. Froyo will have it dominating all the motodroidies when it arrives! Looking for a good BT gamepad. DroidEmu runs great...

Upvote 0
1. Phone Hardware Revision =REV 0.4
2. Phone Firmware Revision =2.1-update1
3. Phone Baseband version =I897UCJH7
3b. Phone Kernel Version =JETAEK.LEE@SEP-11 #2
4. Does your GPS function properly? = sometimes. but i have to be outside usually.
5. How many hours of moderate use can you get on one full battery charge? =varies for some odd reason, some days it stays almost fully charged and sometimes the battery dies within 8 hours even if barely touched. at the moment its been unplugged for 8 1/2 hours and its full.
5B. Battery date =08-19-2010
6. How much % of battery does it take to make one 5-minute phone call? = time on: 6m 36 sec -- 17%
7. What launcher are you using? (touchwiz, adw, launcher pro, etc) =
8. Do you have auto-updating widgets on the home screen? = facebook doesnt auto-update. myspace doesnt auto-update. horoscope didnt either. daily briefing hasn't auto updated since dec 8th
9. Are you using a task killer (which one?) =battery saver
12. Does your "back" soft button respond normally or is it hard to press? = very hard to press. but if plugged into the computer its alot easier.
13. Are you using activesync/exchange? = dont know
14. Does your wifi work properly? = disconnects randomly.
15. Have you rooted? = ?
16. Does Voice Dial work with your contacts? Are your contacts in Gmail or somewhere else? = dont use.

Upvote 0
1. Phone Hardware Revision =Rev 0.4
2. Phone Firmware Revision = 2.2 (Cognition ROM 4.2.1)
3. Phone Baseband version = I897UCKB1
3b. Phone Kernel Version = 2.6.32.9
4. Does your GPS function properly? = Never did. Once in a blue moon it'll work momentarily.
5. How many hours of moderate use can you get one one full battery charge? = A whole working day. If I go work out after work I have to had plugged it in to charge or else it will not last while streaming music for an hour. So give/take 9 hours.
5B. Battery date = Dunno
6. How much % of battery does it take to make one 5-minute phone call? = 2-5% I'm guessing
8. Do you have auto-updating widgets on the home screen? = No
9. Are you using a task killer (which one?) =No
11. Are you experiencing more than a minor amount of lag? = Sometimes
12. Does your "back" soft button respond normally or is it hard to press? = Functions normally
14. Does your wifi work properly? = Perfectly
15. Have you rooted? = Yes
16. Does Voice Dial work with your contacts? Are your contacts in Gmail or somewhere else? = Never tried.

Upvote 0
2. Phone Firmware Revision = 2.2
3. Phone Baseband version = I897UCKB1
3b. Phone Kernel Version = 2.6.32.9
4. Does your GPS function properly? = For the most part, yes
5. How many hours of moderate use can you get one one full battery charge? = ~36
5B. Battery date = 07-20-2010
6. How much % of battery does it take to make one 5-minute phone call? = never checked
11. Are you experiencing more than a minor amount of lag? = no
12. Does your "back" soft button respond normally or is it hard to press? = normal
13. Are you using activesync/exchange? = yes
14. Does your wifi work properly? = yes
16. Does Voice Dial work with your contacts? Are your contacts in Gmail or somewhere else? = never tried

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones