SURVEY: What topic below that you think is more interesting?

1. vinoben85

vinoben85 Member

Hi guys,

Yesterday, i asked your help to give me some ideas for my website project. I know that it was pretty confusing for all of you here. So i want to make it simple this time. That's why i created this survey.

Could you all please spend some minutes to fill this survey. This is really important for me. I really appreciate your helps here. Really.

You can answer the questions of my survey on this survei1346254.blogspot.com

I really hope you all can help me answer this survey. Your feedback is like a goldmine for me.

Thanks,

Advertisement
  2. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog VIP Member

Kind of Confused doesn't Phandroid already do this?
  3. Justin01

Justin01 Well-Known Member

Great Idea. I have noticed that Phone arena always deliver fresh news about gadgets but your plan is quite unique. However, you have to prepare a well researched article everyday. You have to make comparisons in a form or chart or picture so people can comprehend your topic right away.

You also need to have updates with the upcoming gadgets along with monthly plan offered by different carrier. For instance, the Q10, as announced it will be out in the market real soon. If you want people to follow your site, you have to get things ahead of time. You need to find out which carriers will feature Q10 along with their pricing.

I hope it helps.

Good luck.
  4. I don't really know what you have in mind, but this sounds like a more daunting task than you might think. I just recently finished going through this process, and there were a number of complications which made my situation unique. My suspicion is that everyone has these same complications, and it's not just a question of cost. Even then, the question of cost is not as simple as you might think.

Long and rambling brain-dump:
    Discounting MVNO's, and restricting ourselves to the US, there are four carriers. My experience is with T-Mobile, so I will focus on them. If you want to get a plan with T-Mobile, there are several ways to do it: through the website, through the store, and through an affiliate. Each of these is independent and can, and will, offer exclusive deals and prices that cannot be found elsewhere. I know there are web-exclusive deals, and I know that there are plans that you can only get through the T-Mobile store. I don't know if offers through the T-Mobile stores vary by region, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Then there are the affiliates. Amazon, Best Buy, RadioShack (though I don't think they have T-Mobile), and Walmart are just a few. Individually, each affiliate might have different plans, prices and options that cannot be found elsewhere. On top of that, many employers have negotiated discounts for their employees, so the cost from these sources might not be the cost to the customer. The amount of the discount, of course, varies by employer. Multiply that across all four carriers, and it's a mess. Include the MVNO's, and it's disaster. Consider any countries in addition to the US, and it's a nightmare.

Aside from the cost, people want to know their options. Included in the plan options is the plan details, or the contract. Again, looking only at T-Mobile, I think the store and the website use the same contract. AFAIK, the affiliates are required to use the T-Mobile contract, but are also allowed to add on riders, or other conditions however they see fit. For example, and this is hypothetical, if I got a plan through Walmart, they could include a stipulation that any time I want to upgrade my phone, I must get it through Walmart. Not that I couldn't go out and buy one on my own, but if I want to get the upgrade price instead of the retail price, I can't go to the T-Mobile website or store, I have to go through Walmart.

In this case, the devil is in the details, and not knowing what's in your contract, or how it compares to other retailers could really hurt somebody down the line. This could actually be a really good place for your website to start. Look at the contracts between different carriers and from different providers, turn them into plain English, and highlight some of the different restrictions they try and hide in the fine print.

Different plan types. Not everyone is using a smartphone. Not everyone texts. AFAIK, AT&T is the only carrier that has their voice and text seperate (it's a $20/month charge for unlimited texting). T-Mobile (and Sprint, I guess) is famous for their unlimited data, but of course, there are conditions. Most sites have calculators to figure out your data needs. I haven't used them, so I don't know if they're worthwhile. Personally, I don't think that this is something the average user spends time worrying. My suspision is that most people over-estimate, and then never bother to compare their plan to their real-world usage to see if might be able to save a few dollars a month. Everyone (still focusing on average users) is so terrified of overages, that they just keep a large buffer "just in case". Sure they could set their phone to monitor this for them and keep them from going over (shared data aside), but I think that's more sophistication than one can reasonably expect from an average user, just as I wouldn't necessarily expect them to leverage your site to maximum potential. (side question to think about: who is your audience?)

Then there's location. This is probably the first consideration anyone should make. You might like a particular plan on AT&T, but if their coverage sucks in your home, your work, or places you frequent, then you should be looking elsewhere. Coverage information is readily found on the carrier's website, and while I guess you could consolidate this so you can see each carrier's map in your area (overlaid?), if it were me, I'd probably skip over it and go straight to the source.

Inside of all of this, there's probably room to make the case for a discussion on different carrier technologies and frequencies. GSM vs CDMA, HSPA+ vs LTE, PCS, AWS, LTE bands, etc. One thing I found frustrating during my search was being able to tell if a particular phone was compatible with a particular carrier. Sure it's a Verizon phone, but could I use it on the Sprint network? (sidebar: not without Verizon's permission. Thank you Congress!) Phonearena and GSMarena are very useful resources for this, but they just give you the raw specs, they don't tell you if those specs add up to carrier compatibility.

There's also the debate between pre- and post-paid options, but I think most people already know which of those they're going to use. About the only difference there is that with T-Mobile's new Un-Carrier model, those lines are starting to blur. IMO, they're just making it more reasonable for someone to switch from post- to pre-paid, as opposed to the reverse, but there are still important differences (roaming, network priority... I think that's it.)

So how did I make my decision? I looked up my employer discounts, looked at the different post-paid plans on T-Mo (this was before the Un-Carrier switch), AT&T, and Verizon (I'm not a fan of Sprint), and looked at the overall value. At the time, T-Mobile had options for limited monthly minutes paired with unlimited text and data. This plan seemed perfect for my needs, as I don't use a lot of minutes per month, but I just recently started texting more often (but never while driving!), and I honestly have no idea how much data I'll want to use. The most comparable AT&T plan had both limited minutes and limited data and was ~35% more expensive (after employer discounts), and Verizon was ~40% more expensive with 1GB data (~55% more expensive with 2GB, which I'd probably need). The funny part of this story is that I actually ended up getting a Verizon phone. I considered just getting a Verizon plan, but even with the cost of the phone, T-mobile was the better deal, and not just in terms of cost. Of course, I also the verified coverage areas, and all three carriers have good coverage in my area.

Also, aside from Sprint, I don't really have any bias for one carrier over another. There are people who swear by Verizon because they want the best and broadest network. There are people who swear by T-Mobile because they get great service at a great price. In some cases, the carrier decision has already been made before the discussion even began. In my case, I was just looking for the best fit for my needs.
    Sorry for the WOT. I'm not trying to discourage you, but I do think you're oversimplifying a complicated topic. Of course, I don't expect everyone to go to the same extreme as me, but I do think that everyone's situation is different, and that this information isn't as universal as you think.
  5. vinoben85

vinoben85 Member

@justin thanks dude for your reply and feedback. That is a truly goldmine for me. Yeah, i also totally agree with you. I like your idea about making a chart or table and compare the price of each flagship smartphone, directly on the homepage and will be updated maybe every 3 days or a week.

Anyway, i have another question here, simple one.

Really. Your feedback is like a goldmine for me.

Thanks a bunch. :)
  6. vinoben85

vinoben85 Member

@justin anyway, just saved your feedback..
  7. vinoben85

vinoben85 Member

@FillinThe Dude, thanks a lot for your feedback. Just saved it. No, you don't discourage me at all. Instead, your feedback is really helpful for me (thanks for the quote, by the way).

Yeah, i couldn't agree more. When people are looking for carrier deals, some of them do really spend some time calculating their specific needs, like internet data, phone call or text for every month. I also agree with you that some of people must also care to know about the service quality of every carrier before signing the contract/prepaid.

Let's say, T-Mobile maybe can offer much cheaper data plans than other carriers, however, if their data speed sucks at the bone, then it's useless to sign for T-Mobile, right.

Or maybe Verizon is good at internet data speed, but its deals are more expensive than other carriers. OR maybe, Sprint phone deals are lower than rivals, but its signal sucks at some area. And so on and so forth.

So i want my website to help people give the best and lowest cost deals for the latest flaghship smartphones right away when they visit my website (in the form of graph or table).

I want this website to be like other websites that can give, say, the latest coupon codes of web hosting, iOS or Android apps, or maybe low cost travel/hotel deals. But, in this case, the coupon codes are the lowest and best deals for smartphones.

So i guess, i really need to observe all the carriers from their prices, quality and more cost-effective deal options.

Dude, one last thing, could you help me answer my question i passed along to justin above, please.

Thanks.
  8. vinoben85

vinoben85 Member

updated