"Suspend" constant 1-2% CPU usage

Last Updated:

1. StevenSeed

StevenSeed Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've had System Panel's monitoring feature enabled overnight and I've noticed something using the CPU all night at between 1 and 2%.

I have managed to track it down to a process called 'Suspend'. I just wondered if this was normal for whatever this process is? I would have thought the CPU should be at 0% if I'm not using the phone.

Thanks for any advice...

Advertisement
  2. Griff_LI

Griff_LI Well-Known Member

You can't really get a processor to 0%, it'll always be doing something even if that something is inconsequential. In theory it is possible to design a system that will be entirely interrupt-driven which would mean there would be no need for a main task to keep running constantly, the problem is that a lot of peripheral devices don't issue interrupts correctly, don't issue them at all or need some constant monitoring to keep them working.

Below about 5% you can pretty-much assume 0. It will, of course, still consume battery (at a massively reduced rate) - the only way to stop that would be to switch it off (and even then the battery would trickle down).

I suspect Suspend is just an Android task that keeps any peripherals that need it polled.

StevenSeed likes this.
  3. ScoobyWRX

ScoobyWRX Well-Known Member

I 'd be interested to find out how to get it down too, mine reads between 3-30% whilst sat in on lock.

4. StevenSeed

Useful information Griff, thank you for your time.

5. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

I think you've answered your own question there? If System Panel has been set to actively monitor then it is bound to use a small amount of CPU in doing so ;)

6. StevenSeed

Oops, did I just divide by zero? :eek: