• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Swap Support?

Unfortunately, we do not have a kernel that supports swap. There only 4 kernels here, the stock, spz0's oc kernel which is only in his rom OA, Req's oc kernel for the CM7 beta and stock++, and pressy5pie's kernel that is simply req's oc kernel with added frequencies to further overclock.
I remember req making a flashable zip for the stock kernel which again is our only no-oc kernel. let me see if i can find it

http://androidforums.com/admire-all...rnel-stock-cwm-flashable-metropcs-kernel.html
hope this works since i myself have never used it. i simply stay on the kernel thats provided in the rom as most of the time the oc kernel is need to run the rom and without it bootloops. I know from experience trying to run the stock rfs kernel on ext4 oc kernels roms.

Reactions: badazdb
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, we do not have a kernel that supports swap. There only 4 kernels here, the stock, spz0's oc kernel which is only in his rom OA, Req's oc kernel for the CM7 beta and stock++, and pressy5pie's kernel that is simply req's oc kernel with added frequencies to further overclock.
I remember req making a flashable zip for the stock kernel which again is our only no-oc kernel. let me see if i can find it

Thank you, and no need to bother yourself. Im already on the O.A ROM and was wondering if I could get swap support. But do you know anyway that I could get more memory on my device? I'm using the Apps2sd app, but after getting all the apps I want, I'm still down to like 16 mb

Upvote 0
Thank you, and no need to bother yourself. Im already on the O.A ROM and was wondering if I could get swap support. But do you know anyway that I could get more memory on my device? I'm using the Apps2sd app, but after getting all the apps I want, I'm still down to like 16 mb

well you could always delete any apps you dont plan on using on OA, when i was on it i erased a few such as the google sky maps app. cool app but never really used it. So you already partitioned your sd card through cwm to allow more apps onto your phone? casue thats really the only way how for us. There was a guy here who have 90+ apps on this Admire but I dont know howe many gigabytes his sd card was. The only way would be to get a bigger sd card and partition it through cwm. off the top of my head thats all i believe is available, could be wrong. on a simple 2gb sd card, a 512mb(.5gb) partition should be enough though. if it tells you to create a partition for swap put 0 as that would just end up wasting space seeing how we dont have swap support

Upvote 0
well you could always delete any apps you dont plan on using on OA, when i was on it i erased a few such as the google sky maps app. cool app but never really used it. So you already partitioned your sd card through cwm to allow more apps onto your phone? casue thats really the only way how for us. There was a guy here who have 90+ apps on this Admire but I dont know howe many gigabytes his sd card was. The only way would be to get a bigger sd card and partition it through cwm. off the top of my head thats all i believe is available, could be wrong. on a simple 2gb sd card, a 512mb(.5gb) partition should be enough though. if it tells you to create a partition for swap put 0 as that would just end up wasting space seeing how we dont have swap support

No I didnt partition my sdcard. I'm just using Apps2sd from the market that doesn't require a partition. And I'm also using a 2,gig card but I plan on chaging that soon.

Upvote 0
No I didnt partition my sdcard. I'm just using Apps2sd from the market that doesn't require a partition. And I'm also using a 2,gig card but I plan on chaging that soon.

oh alright. man i feel like im forgetting something important to tell. but i cant seem to remember... been awhile since ive answered anything about on this topic. it doesnt help that the Admire has such minimal internal storage space. I saw my mothers's Transform Ultra and saw how much more it had and i was sitting there in awe considering she doesnt even know how to clear the notifications from apps all in one go.

Upvote 0
well you could always delete any apps you dont plan on using on OA, when i was on it i erased a few such as the google sky maps app. cool app but never really used it. So you already partitioned your sd card through cwm to allow more apps onto your phone? casue thats really the only way how for us. There was a guy here who have 90+ apps on this Admire but I dont know howe many gigabytes his sd card was. The only way would be to get a bigger sd card and partition it through cwm. off the top of my head thats all i believe is available, could be wrong. on a simple 2gb sd card, a 512mb(.5gb) partition should be enough though

I have(had) Link2SD on my Admire and had dozens of apps. I have an 8Gb SD card and only 2Gb was used.

Upvote 0
I don't think you should've told me that, because it's all I'll be thinking about now lol. Its not like I need sleep or anything

I'm supposed to be sleeping too. My schedule is all ****** up.

If it's that important to you, what ROM (Stock, Stock++, CM, etc) do you want to use swap with? I can compile a kernel real quick, just need to know which ROM you are using so I can pack in the right ramdisk.

Upvote 0
I'm supposed to be sleeping too. My schedule is all ****** up.

If it's that important to you, what ROM (Stock, Stock++, CM, etc) do you want to use swap with? I can compile a kernel real quick, just need to know which ROM you are using so I can pack in the right ramdisk.

That'll be highly appreciated if you could do that. Right now I'm on O.A 2.3 RFS (My phone doesn't work well with Ext4 & OC. I'm not sure the exact name of the kernel it uses though.

Upvote 0
If you have an OA backup, go to advanced restore, and select restore boot.

Weird that it's not working, but that means Spz0 changed more in his OA kernel than I thought.

Sorry broseph. When I get some test results back from the new CM7 I'll integrate the Swap kernel changes and push out a new zip.

Okay man, take your time!!! I'll be waiting :D

Reactions: Cogra147
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones