Swapping and swype: sweet!

Last Updated:

1. gghose

gghose Member This Topic's Starter

I finally got the latest Swype beta to install and work by following their troubleshooting instructions and installing Swapper2. In addition to Swype working (which is really cool by the way), my impression is that my phone is more stable... less mysterious application quits for example.

So I have to questions:

1. Is there a way of measuring the speed impact of having swapping on?

2. Would I be better off using the Galaxo swap options as opposed to Swapper2?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. inFECT

inFECT Well-Known Member

1. Since swap does not give more speed, but more ram, there is no tool for benchmarking it. Easy rule, as faster your SD Card, as faster is the Swap.

2. Yes. Always a bad idea, using third party tools for stuff which is allready build in.

3. gghose

gghose Member This Topic's Starter

1. There are definite pauses and sluggishness, but I was having that before so I'm not sure that swap is to blame.

2. If your internal SD is faster than your external SD, than using Swapper 2 with a swap file there could be faster. In my case, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the external SD swap partition and the internal SD swap file used by Swapper 2.

My phone definitely has less mysterious applications quitting though. And fewer FC messages. (For example, my phone would usually have about 4 or 5 FC messages during boot up). And my swap usage is seldom over 14M, suggesting that even a small swap can be helpful.