Swapping Droids

1. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Well-Known Member

Anyone know if it is possible to swap phones with a friend on Verizon? I remember doing this all the time on AT&T's network, you just swap out the SIM cards and voila...

Advertisement
    :
  2. clos1084

clos1084 Well-Known Member

its not as simple. You need to contact Verizon with the the ESN of the new phone
  3. Jacob Malliet

Jacob Malliet Active Member

Yes you can swap phones, you are able to swap them on their site, just look for the ESN number, normally under the battery.
  4. mancow

mancow Well-Known Member

I just posted a similar question. Can you point us to some more specific directions? I am expecting the X to arrive tomorrow and would like to place it on my line in place of my D. Inc and move the Inc over to the wife's line that currently has an original Droid.
  5. Hiroshika

Hiroshika Well-Known Member

I believe youd have to transfer the account to a clean phone. Lets say you are like mancow, you're getting the x (this can be your dummy phone), so you want to transfer from your dinc to your x, and from your wife's droid to your dinc.

You go to verizons website, log into myverizon, there should be a link to activate the phone. Go through the process, input the esn of the droid x and put your phone number.
    Then, go back in, put the dincs esn in, and then put your wifes number.

There you go.

Oh and if you were using the droid x as your "dummy phone" (Not that anyone would) then just transfer again to your droid. Same process.
  6. mancow

mancow Well-Known Member

Lol... I think I got that....

I assume this is the page. Enter your location

I have never done this myself before so I am a bit apprehensive.

The other thing that concerned me is the fact the X has never been on any line before. From what you describe I guess it doesn't matter as long as it is entered in the system through the handset programming or the above web site.

Thanks for the info and I will give it a go tomorrow. I hope I don't manage to F things up.
  7. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

I believe you can just dial *228 from each phone to activate them. Never done this myself, but I belive that you can do it like that.

Kratos
  8. mancow

mancow Well-Known Member

Yea, I guess my main issue is I basically just need to swap numbers in them. The X was an upgrade on line 1 and the Inc is currently on line 2.

I need the X on line 2 and the Inc on line 1. I guess I'll figure it out one way or another. Last time I took it in a store and they kind of acted like it was a pain in the ass but they didn't charge me. I don't think they will be so nice a second time.
  9. resident psyco

resident psyco Well-Known Member

you can also dial *228 hit option 1 on the phone you want to swap to, but you have to turn off the phone that is already activated first, then it will activate the new one and deactivate the old one. Pretty simple.
  10. slosh

slosh Well-Known Member

Or you can go to a verizon store and they will do it for you. Easy way if you not to sure on how to do it online
  11. ricksievers

ricksievers Well-Known Member

Do it in the store they might charge you.
  12. slosh

slosh Well-Known Member

Not if you are a VIP member then its free
  13. ricksievers

What is a VIP with verizon?
  14. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

I've swapped phones out online multiple times and I've never had a problem.
  15. mancow

mancow Well-Known Member

Well I got my X right about the same time as the rep at the store so we both unboxed them and he swapped the numbers around for free as we shot the s*** about phones and the X etc... so it ended up actually being a pretty good time.
  16. mancow

mancow Well-Known Member

OK, I am trying to deactivate the original droid off the wife's line and activate the Inc in its place.

When it gets to the point that the woman says that they are transferring account information it says the information can't be transferred. It then tells me to call for assistance.

WTF?
  17. ricksievers

Is the original Droid off when you try it?
  18. mancow

mancow Well-Known Member

yes it is off

EDIT: Now my account is completely messed up. The line I was trying to move the phone to will no longer accept any phone and they can't figure out why. They had me enter an new esn in the phone and activate it and it will place calls but 3G is dead. The tech said I will have to try to get a new PRL manually pushed to the phone in the store since *228 option 2 fails.

Is there any way to do a manual PRL myself?
  19. mancow

mancow Well-Known Member

EDIT: Now my account is completely messed up. The line I was trying to move the phone to will no longer accept any phone and they can't figure out why. They had me enter an new esn in the phone and activate it and it will place calls but 3G is dead. The tech said I will have to try to get a new PRL manually pushed to the phone in the store since *228 option 2 fails.

Is there any way to do a manual PRL update myself?