Swapping handsets

1. comradestripe

comradestripe Member

The camera on my Legend is faulty and I've finally got Vodafone to send me a replacement, but I'm worried that I'm going to lose all of my personalisation etc and have to spend hours getting the new phone to the way I've got my current one.

I'm not too bothered about background, widgets etc, but I was wondering if anyone could give me advice as to how to get as much info from the old handset to the new - particularly the contacts that I want who are linked through Google and Facebook, and the apps I've downloaded.

I've tried syncing with HTC Sync but, to be honest, am finding it confusing; I can't see what I've synced so am not sure if there was any point in doing that. I've also backed my phone and Google contacts up on the SD card (I think!) but I'm not sure if this will work.

I love the Legend, but I hate how much of a technoidiot it makes me feel! I'm supposed to be competent with these things!

Advertisement
  2. anandroiduser

anandroiduser Well-Known Member

comradestripe likes this.
  3. comradestripe

comradestripe Member

Thanks, Anandroiduser, I'll give it a go. I'm trying to make sure I get it right as have to swap the handsets with a courier so won't be able to get everything back if it goes wrong!
  4. anandroiduser

anandroiduser Well-Known Member

At very least, I'd like to think that a dump to the SD card will work. How much time do you have to copy the stuff from the old to the new phone?

Also, http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/52701-phone-contacts-vs-google-contacts.html seems to have a lot of good and relevant info about backing up phone contacts, and phone vs google contacts. You might have a read there. (It should be generally the same even though that's related to eris.)
  5. comradestripe

comradestripe Member

Thanks for the response :) I imagine I'll just have to swap box for box with the courier with no chance to let the two phones meet. I've just realised that they'll probably want the SD card back in the box too, but they've messed me around for so long that they can ask for it.

When I get the new handset, what would you say would be the best way to get contacts on there? I don't want to go through and delete loads of Google/Facebook contacts I don't want on my phone again.