Swapping it out

Last Updated:

1. MrTony

MrTony Banned This Topic's Starter

I've decided after the last 5 days of playing with different charging methods and battery managers, I'm going to swap out my Captivate for another one. Since there's no 3rd party battery available yet (unless you want one from Hong Kong on Ebay), I can't really test a different battery to see if it works any better.
    I'm starting to think it may not be a battery issue anyway. My girlfriend has a Vibrant and her battery life is crap as well. It seems that some people on here have outstanding battery life for no apparent reason, while the rest of us have crappy battery life even when every power saving trick is used.

An interesting test I did last night was to disable all battery and memory management, increase screen brightness to max, disable the power saving mode, and then I played Clash of the Titans (1hr 47mins). The battery went from 94% to 51%. Then, I stopped the movie, turned the screen off and went to sleep. In the 4 hours till I got up, the phone went from 51% down to 22%! That's just ridiculous!

On a side note: I called AT&T Premier Business Care (they've always been awesome) and they said that I'd have to handle any issues with Best Buy since I got it there. That's incentive enough for me to return this phone to Best Buy and repurchase it directly from AT&T. I seriously doubt Best Buy's motivation to treat me well, while AT&T Premier always goes the extra mile. The $50 I saved at Best Buy isn't worth it to me to sacrifice great service.

Advertisement
  2. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

That is unfortunately par for the course on the battery of this device. I don't think anything is wrong with your phone.

3. MrTony

MrTony Banned This Topic's Starter

Yea, I'd like to think you're right. There are those on here that get great battery life, or at least claim to. If for no other reason, I'm going to swap it out so that AT&T Premier will handle any support issues instead of Best Buy.

4. Max Tempest

Max Tempest Well-Known Member

Speaking of extra batteries from Hong Kong on Ebay, has anyone bought any? There are a bunch of them on Ebay for Samsung Galaxy S i9000 for affordable prices, like 2x batteries + charger for $10-11 w/free shipping. They seem compatible with the Captivate, only slightly different part and serial numbers. I'm wondering if they are swappable and worth getting.

Captivate battery:
    [​IMG]

Galaxy S battery:
    [​IMG]

5. Fate0n3

Fate0n3 Well-Known Member

That is suxs man.. I don't blame you tho about going to directly to AT&T. I have been in the same boat of trying to save a few dollars and then causing more hassle in the end. The AT&T stores always seem to help the most and try a little bit more. Hope you get it all sorted out man. Just remember don't go to the dark side of the apple lol :p Don't listen when they start there apple talk lol

6. GalaxyS609

GalaxyS609 Well-Known Member

if thats par then I must be shooting birdies and eagles. I'm going to make a post in about 30 mins thats going to make people hate me, cause my battery life is great, I purposely tried to kill my battery today and it still took me 13 hours to do so. ill post once its done recharging.

7. DontMindMe

DontMindMe Active Member

I got 15 hours yesterday of pretty good use. Constant texting and a couple hours of internet before i had to plug it in.

Im glad to see att is so nice to you. My family has been a member of att for twenty five years and they treat us like crap. One of the reasons i bought this phone through best buy was the way they treated my mom when she asked why they couldnt give her some deal for getting her 3gs two days before the 30 days to upgrade to the iphone 4. They also say they dont know when the phones come out, but the guy i talked to at best buy says they know when the phones (specifically the iphone 4) are coming out.
    Thanks ATT.

8. myrv

myrv Well-Known Member

I think it comes down to who you talk to. Where I live there are 3 Best Buys in easy driving distance. Of those three, one has horribly rude employees, one has good employees, and one has amazingly helpful and friendly employees. I also like dealing with Best Buy because of the accidental damage protection on my phone. For $10 a month I get a plan that covers drops and other types of damage and it has no deductible.

Prim8 likes this.