Sweat. Not the worry kind, the wet kind.

Last Updated:

1. Loremonger

Loremonger Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Had Sally out on a run today playing an audiobook. About two miles in, the sound stopped. Actually, it was coming out of the phone speaker instead of the headphones. I've seen this before after applying a Phantomskinz full body kit. Both times, dried her out longer and she's fine. I've taken her on longer runs without an issue, so this one's kind of weird. I wonder if applying the skin weakened a connection somewhere...?

As much as I run, being able to play audio from my phone extremely important to me. I have to take my phone anyway for safety reasons; the audio just keeps me entertained during the hardest parts of the run.

I also heard second-hand about a construction worker who fried his Captivate with sweat just by having it in his shirt pocket.

Anyone else have anything like this?

e

Advertisement
  2. Muirne

Muirne Active Member

I haven't had my phone on me when I've done a workout, or been sweaty bu I did put on a skin with liberal usage of the spray stuff that was included with the kit. I didn't have any issues or changes with the audio or even the phone itself. Personally, I'd take it back and try to get a different phone.

P.S. The fact that you named your phone has amused me to no end. :p

3. Loremonger

Well, I put a plastic bag around Sally to take her on a run this morning. 3 miles in, the headset jack stopped working. So it's not moisture, or not just that, anyway. Probably a combination of factors created it, but apparently body heat can trigger the short now. *sigh* I really didn't want to have to return her, but quite simply, she can't keep up with me. My iPhone 3G started going funky after runs, but only after a year and a half. My guess is the smooth back on the iPhone keeps more moisture out, but I've heard some horror stories about Apple refusing warranties because of sweat damage.

The moral of the story: Keep your phone dry!

(I should get an otterbox)

4. Muirne

Muirne Active Member

Good luck in whatever you do choose. A friend had made a purchase of a itouch, I know she's really not abusive towards equipment but she's had to have it repaired ~3 times and the third time they told her that it shouldn't be used for working out (she was using it in a similar manner as you, she ran with it.)

5. Loremonger

Update: I talked to some running buddies of mine and found out that this is a pretty common issue with media players, including iPods. Not sure why I never had an issue with my iPhone, but I think it might be that the armband I was using kept the sweat away from the headphone jack. Sally sticks out a little further, just enough to expose the jack. But once she has a while to dry out, no worries.