Sweeter Home issue. Lags like crazy.

Last Updated:

1. tbflx

tbflx Active Member This Topic's Starter

So when I first installed SH I absolutely loved it, it ran perfectly and once I had everything set up I was the happiest guy ever.

For some reason, it has recently come to a serious halt in one area. Speed between screens is great, speed around the editing is great, here's the issue.

When I'm in an app, or in any other screen than the home screen and I click the "home" button to go back to SH it takes forever to load. It's probably a good 5-10 seconds. This is with any combination of widgets, running apps, etc.

I tried updating to the latest build and it did nothing. I didn't install any serious apps in the meantime and uninstalled most of what I installed during the time period just to test.

Any ideas?

Stock rom.

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

The only time I experience that lag is upon boot-up. After that, SH returns to the homescreen just as fast (or faster) than an other home-replacement app. Are you running the latest version (Build 712 for the DROID)?

3. tbflx

Yes. The issue started with a previous build and carried over when I made sure I was updated to the most recent build.

I uninstalled before installing the Build 712.

4. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

I am experiencing the same lag when returning to the SH2 home. I was getting about a 2 second lag at 550 mhz and now about 1 second at 800mhz.

I am being patient and assume this is all part of the process of developing this great app.

I am sure none of us are willing to go back the original 3 or 5 screen layout at this point. I can't even stand to look at the tiny icons and text!

The fact is SH2 is very complex and is going to take some time to perfect.

5. tbflx

My lag is much longer =/

Unfortunately I LOVE sweeterhome, and it hurts so much to have to go back to the regular screens.

6. rjoudrey

Joe, I find it hard to believe you have no lag.:eek:

Why doesn't someone start a poll. Is your lag greater than a second, greater than 5 seconds or no lag.

7. messenger13

Today, I'll be making some videos on Sweeter Home. You can judge for yourself. ;)

I just opened the browser and tapped the home button ... less than a second to get back to my homescreen. I opened Handcent, less than 1/2 second. Opened the phone app, less than a second.

By chance, do you guys have all of your pics, trays, icons, etc. embedded? Looking for what I might be doing differently.

8. rjoudrey

All of my trays are embedded, custom. The earlier versions of SH2 although buggy where faster.

9. rjoudrey

Joe: Do you use a memory manager? Could it be memory swapping going on?

10. messenger13

I use Startup Auditor, and tweak the settings occasionally. And, I am a consummate Task Killer user. I don't care what anyone says ... my DROID runs better, faster, and smoother when I use ATK to kill apps. Not going to get into a debate about it. That's just my story, and I'm sticking to it. :)

11. rjoudrey

Anybody know anything about the "Bitmap limit" preference?

12. rjoudrey

I noticed that my application data is at 5.23MB for a total of 7.27MB. This is a lot higher than in the past.

Joe: what is yours?

13. messenger13

App = 2.04
    Data = 4.66
    Total = 6.70

I left mine at default (6689280). Or maybe I should say, I never changed that parameter.

I just bumped mine up to an even 7000000 to see if it makes a difference. Give me a little more headroom.

14. tbflx

Left screen: 4 embedded widgets.
    Middle screen: flip clock out, mini info out, sms unread out, gmail unread out.
    3 tagged trays embedded, one tray non-embedded.
    Right screen: 3 widgets embedded.

15. obutto

obutto Well-Known Member

Sweeter Home took sometimes even 10 seconds for me. Other times, it would be instant. It became very buggy. My widgets would die out after each day and I would have to re-add them constantly. Personally, I don't see a point of using such an app.

However, it makes your home screen look nice and customized, even to your own preference! The negatives outweigh the benefits in my opinion. What I did was root and updated to Bugless Beast and installed a nice Metamorph theme. Works a lot better in my opinion. You still get those 5 home screens without the hassle.

16. tbflx

For me it isn't about the 5 screens, it's about the level of customization, from size of icons to the hidden trays to the tagged trays to being able to resize widgets or place widgets on top of other widgets, etc etc. It's awesome.

17. phaze3131

phaze3131 Well-Known Member

What do you guys mean embedded? I am using drpepper and I am not sure how to embed the things you guys are talking about.

I am not having any lag at all either, I am rooted and running 1ghz.

18. messenger13

Of course you're not experiencing lag ... you're using my theme! :D

If you go into edit mode and long-press on a tray, click edit. The first screen has a parameter that allows you to "Embed Content".

19. rjoudrey

It would be nice to know what components we are using that is slowing it down. I do not use a task manager. I did reboot my phone and it seemed to get a little faster.

Is ATK the answer?

20. rjoudrey

It has to be an issue with the caching of the homescreen. Maybe it is a memory thing.

21. messenger13

Just shot a quick video ... horrific quality, but you'll get the gist of it.

It should play in your browser. If not, just right-click and select Save target as...

[movie removed from server]

22. rjoudrey

Definitely faster than mine.

23. messenger13

I should add I did turn animations on, so it usually is a little faster.

24. phaze3131

oops mistake

25. phaze3131

Hehe yea I love your theme! Wish I could figure out how you got the red background on it :)

But about embedding I see the option sometimes but not most of the times when I go into edit.