• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swift Key...anyone else?

I don't know how anyone can stand Swype after using Swiftkey. Swiftkey is like 10 times faster and easier to use. Swype you end up blocking the keys with your finger a lot and wondering where to swype next. It guesses the wrong words a lot, too. Swype is novel and somewhat intuitive, but Swiftkey is more functional and fast.

Upvote 0
You have to know the layout of the Qwerty keyboard in your head to effectively use Swype. If you don't have the layout of a Qwerty keyboard memorized, it would be difficult to use. I like Swype because you don't even have to hit all of the right keys for it to get most of the words right.

Upvote 0
You have to know the layout of the Qwerty keyboard in your head to effectively use Swype. If you don't have the layout of a Qwerty keyboard memorized, it would be difficult to use. I like Swype because you don't even have to hit all of the right keys for it to get most of the words right.

I type 100 WPM. So I know the layout very well, I just find my finger blocking where the key should be all too often. I like Swiftkey because I can hit one letter and it can predict what I'm typing a lot of the time. I'm saving at least 50% keystrokes.

Upvote 0
Just started using Swift Key keyboard....anyone else? It is about 94 cents for the next few days, awesome keyboard! Learns how you type/what you type. Looks great, slightly different layout which is nice too!

I personally really enjoy it!

I LOVE SWYPE ITS AWESOME!!!

Before I actually got my samsung captivate 3 weeks ago I looked up a BUNCH of reviews on youtube..the first time I got my captivate and turned it on..I was an expert at using swype I spelled Google Right in my first try EVER..in my opinion Swype is AWESOME

Im teaching my captivate to "speak spanish" my saving words to it haha

Upvote 0
I downloaded Switfkey yesterday and must say I prefer it to Swype for a couple of reasons:

1) Far fewer accidental mistypes; Swype seems to "misunderstand" about 20% or more of the words I type; this drops to less than 10% in my limited experience with Swiftkey

2) There are a few dedicated "special" keys present on the main typing keyboard with Swiftkey that are one-touch accessible, such as "?" and "Voice Recognition", among others. not nearly as many long-press commands or a need to switch to a second key panel to find the charachter you're looking for as with Swype.

However, to be honest, I still plan to ditch whatever keyboard I am using at the time for one that allows me to set a predictive-text-portrait/full-type-landscape when there's a finished, non-beta product to market. There seem to be a couple of such keyboards in beta currently, but the one I looked at still seems very buggy, so I'll wait patiently, sticking with Swiftkey until others are truly ready for market.

-Ryan

Upvote 0
I don't know how anyone can stand Swype after using Swiftkey.
It's called subjective preference. ;) It definitely applies to input methods as well as many, many other things in life.

Swiftkey is like 10 times faster and easier to use. Swype you end up blocking the keys with your finger a lot and wondering where to swype next.
Thanks for speaking for me but I've never wondered where to Swype next and I don't find Swiftkey 10 times faster or easier to use. YMMV, of course. Just don't make the seemingly common discussion forum user mistake of assuming that what you prefer (or don't prefer) applies across the board to everyone else.

Upvote 0
It's called subjective preference. ;) It definitely applies to input methods as well as many, many other things in life.

Thanks for speaking for me but I've never wondered where to Swype next and I don't find Swiftkey 10 times faster or easier to use. YMMV, of course. Just don't make the seemingly common discussion forum user mistake of assuming that what you prefer (or don't prefer) applies across the board to everyone else.

Thank you doctor. :rolleyes:

As I uploaded several photos onto Yelp and Flickr the other day, I realized I only had to touch the screen 4 times in the same place to type something that would have taken 20-25 keystrokes. I can't even type that fast on my desktop computer.

Upvote 0
Never mind, answered my own question. It's called My Text Speed and it seems I'm MUCH faster with SlideIt than Swiftkey. 26 WPM with SlideIT...

How did you even get swiftkey to work with it? I tried and though it showed the swiftkey keyboard, it didn't show the suggestions. I tried swiftkey with SMS messages afterward to make sure it still works and it just doesn't work with this My Text Speed program.

Upvote 0
I'm a real swype-lover, but recently, when my beta copy expired, I was forced into trying out several other keyboards. My thanks go to the Opening Poster, because Swiftkey is the first I have tried that is as good as Swype for my personal needs, although the two couldn't be more different in the way they function.

Upvote 0
I'm a real swype-lover, but recently, when my beta copy expired, I was forced into trying out several other keyboards. My thanks go to the Opening Poster, because Swiftkey is the first I have tried that is as good as Swype for my personal needs, although the two couldn't be more different in the way they function.

Take a look at Ultra Keyboard for a keyboard that does "swyping". As a swype user for over 6 months, Ultra keyboard is a decent alternative, IMO.

Upvote 0
I've been a die-hard Swype fan since the first beta. However, this latest update killed my enthusiasm as it seemed to wipe out my user dictionary and just isn't getting the correct words most of the time. So, I tried SwiftKey and while it took a few minutes to remember how to type (kept swyping by habit), I have finally readjusted and have to say I am really liking SwiftKey, to my surprise. The version I just downloaded does handle contractions easily, so maybe I have a different version than jackattack?

Anyway, the more I use it the more it seems to predict what I'm going to type so I find many words only take one or two keystrokes before the word is there. Sometimes it even knows the next few words before I even type anything. Kind of spooky. I also prefer the horizontal layout for word selection instead of Swype's little popup that often doesn't have the right words anyway.

The microphone on the keyboard is a big plus, too. I was getting tired of waiting for Swype to implement that in the beta. I think I'm going to switch over to SwiftKey permanently. I like it that much.

Upvote 0
swiftkey is fantastic. best keyboard out there imo. i switched from swype and would never go back. my only criticism at this point is that in messaging apps (google talk specifically) the keyboard plus typing window plus prediction window leaves VERY little room to actually see the conversation. that prediction window has to go if you ask me. make the words float above the screen maybe? i dont know...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones