• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SwiftKey - better than Swype?

I've tried installing this, and although it appears installed, when I go to my message programme to use it I can't see a keyboard! Is there some magic way of making it appear .. I've been swiping every way imaginable, but nothing happens!

First go to Settings -> Languages and Keyboard, and put the tick on the keyboard.

Then go to your text input box, long press and select 'input type'. Then select your preferred keyboard from there.

Upvote 0
Have been using it for a couple of days, really like it so far except for 2 things:
1 - no underscore on the front page, have to go through menus which is annoying when your email address has an underscore!

2 - numbers and some letters come up with more than one option meaning its an extra click. When i choose the english pack, why do i need options on the front page to write letters from other languages?

Haven't used swype, but definitely recommend this keyboard over any others I've used so far

Upvote 0
First go to Settings -> Languages and Keyboard, and put the tick on the keyboard.

Then go to your text input box, long press and select 'input type'. Then select your preferred keyboard from there.

Thanks .. But I still can't get the keyboard to appear, there must be a conflict with something else. I also have SlideIT and I'm trying Swype so it may be one of those.

Upvote 0
Im gonna be honest here, this is BY FAR, the best keyboard i've ever used. I typed out a long 50 word text, and I maybe typed 2 letters from each word, and i was able to choose the word in a split second. I also selected the option to "hit spacebar to select word in middle" which made life much easier. Plus i've been hitting the "scan texts" option a lot since i just got it and it basically knows exactly how I type and talk. For example, when i start a text, it already gives me options of (U, I, We, What's, Yo) and I just select the start of the phrase, and then once i select "what's", I have "Up" as an option up top that I can select, and if it's in the middle of the word options, I literally, hit space for what's, and space for Up, and the text is ready. It's actually incredible. I hope it doesnt kill battery life, but even if it does, it's worth it because of how much time this app saves. I'm no affiliated with this app in any way, check my posts if you dont believe me, but i'm ecstatic about it, its like having a brand new phone because texting is so much fun and easier now.

Upvote 0
just a shame it doesnt include a mic button for voice search etc, so i have to switch to the HTC IME mod in the imput method dropdown to use voice to text.

I AGREE! I submitted feedback at their website REQUESTING A VOICE MIC BUTTON BE ADDED:
(http://www.swiftkey.net/contact.php (SwiftKey feedback submission form))

So I submitted a suggestion adding the VERY important VOICE MIC BUTTON! So far I loved swift but without this key that i use all the time, its back to stock DroidX multi-touch! Sooo...

If you like swift and like the voice mic button, submit feedback and tell them too, it wont be long before they simply add this little tiny button!!! :)

riz

Upvote 0
I really like swype for speed and smoothness, but their predicted word box is too big and blocks your view of what your typing and other buttons. Swiftkey's predicted word box is more like the HTC keyboard, and seems better setup for logins and passwords. If swype would address these things I might go back.

Upvote 0
I really like swype for speed and smoothness, but their predicted word box is too big and blocks your view of what your typing and other buttons. Swiftkey's predicted word box is more like the HTC keyboard, and seems better setup for logins and passwords. If swype would address these things I might go back.

i use slideit and that works great

Upvote 0
Im gonna be honest here, this is BY FAR, the best keyboard i've ever used. I typed out a long 50 word text, and I maybe typed 2 letters from each word, and i was able to choose the word in a split second. I also selected the option to "hit spacebar to select word in middle" which made life much easier. Plus i've been hitting the "scan texts" option a lot since i just got it and it basically knows exactly how I type and talk. For example, when i start a text, it already gives me options of (U, I, We, What's, Yo) and I just select the start of the phrase, and then once i select "what's", I have "Up" as an option up top that I can select, and if it's in the middle of the word options, I literally, hit space for what's, and space for Up, and the text is ready. It's actually incredible. I hope it doesnt kill battery life, but even if it does, it's worth it because of how much time this app saves. I'm no affiliated with this app in any way, check my posts if you dont believe me, but i'm ecstatic about it, its like having a brand new phone because texting is so much fun and easier now.

One thing that I can't stand is that it defaults to making the first letter uppercase but the shift key is not pressed so when you press the shift key, you have to press it twice. This is annoying when you have to enter your email address or something that doesn't use an uppercase letter.

Upvote 0
I have swiftkey on an EVO and I'm having some issues. I'm curious if anyone else is having similar problems and/or might be able to help.

1. There are no arrow/cursor keys. I find it difficult to select the exact position without them. This is by far my biggest issue so far.
  2. Autocomplete adds a space every time and I don't see a way to change that
  3. Symbols like underscore are a pain to find.

Any help will be appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones