swipe screen to answer callsSupport

Last Updated:

1. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Swiping the screen to unlock and to answer calls makes this phone a two hander- which is annoying. Sure in the car with handsfree no problem but even walking having to use both hands is irritating. Is there an alternative?

Advertisement
  2. UdvVrf

UdvVrf Active Member

Yeah, that call-accept-screen is really annoying. Would welcome one with simple buttons, like the in-call-screen, that one is pretty nice imho

3. thehotbreadguy

thehotbreadguy Member

Boy, you guys said it. Either my dexterity is even worse than I thought, or the designers have unrealistic expectations about my thumb's capabilities. I find even doing it two-handed I had to concentrate on doing the swipe from left to right straight and to definitively follow through with it. I almost never answered it on the first try.

Fortunately, you can change the settings so that you press the recessed home key to answer the phone with one hand. Go into Settings/Call Settings/All Calls/Answering call and check the box for Answering Key. That will enable you to answer it definitively every time with one press.

This works on the Galaxy S...I don't know about the other variations.

seepage, dekela, Bethbaby and 2 others like this.
  4. C Jordan

C Jordan New Member

Hi thanks for your advice, however I've done exactly what you say and I still can't answer the phone with one press, it is so annoying - any further tips? Thanks

5. lobo76

lobo76 Well-Known Member

Are you using some other UI? I am using the default Touchwiz, and it is just a swipe to answer calls. The swipe doesn't unlock the phone but it allows you to answer the call. After the call ends, it goes back to being locked. You'd have to unlock it if you want to do other stuff on the phone.

p.s I don't think my hands are big, and I can do it with one hand.

C Jordan likes this.
  6. SGSI

SGSI Well-Known Member

Either swipe or press the Home button to answer calls.

kaza777 and C Jordan like this.
  7. LateNiteMike

LateNiteMike Well-Known Member

When I received my first call on my SGS I kept tapping the green button...tapping...tapping harder....getting frustrated because my phone was still ringing...but hitting the green button....apparently did NOTHING !
    Geez ! :mad:WTF ? :confused:
    Only much later did I discover that you have to SWIPE the screen (in the right direction) to be able to answer a call. That was a real pain trying to work that out on my own. I don't understand why you can't just simply tap on the green spot to answer.
    Anyway,...thanks for the tip. I've made the settings changes and I hope it works. :)

8. andy-roid

andy-roid Well-Known Member

i think the reason you have to swipe it is becuse if it rings and its in your pocket and your able to tap it the phone has a chance you will answer the call in your pocket but if you swipe it its hard to answer the call in your pocket

9. goyal.sanchit

goyal.sanchit Well-Known Member

I can somewhat relate to the problem faced by people in this thread.

When I got the Galaxy S and tried to pick up the phone even I kept on pressing the green button and much later realized that I have to swipe at the screen.

Using 2 hands to pick up or reject a call is a real issue. BUT recently I read in the manual-

To recieve a call drag the green bar till the word "accept" appear on screen.

I thought lets try when the word would appear. So I dragged the bar with one hand SLOWLY. To my surprise if we dont do it a bit slow its easy to pick or reject phone with one hand only.

Earlier I was doing it fast so it didnt get picked up but doing it slowly with one hand works well. Try it for yourself.

Hope that helps.

Regards.

kaza777 likes this.
  10. lobo76

lobo76 Well-Known Member

frankly, I don't understand why you are so angry, when you are partly at fault for not reading the manual... :)

even if you don't read the manual (actually I didn't read it as well :p) it's not as if swiping is that counter intuitive...

11. LateNiteMike

LateNiteMike Well-Known Member

Wasn't angry....I was frustrated. There's a big difference.
    FYI...One can be frustrated and not get angry. You're right, I didn't bother to read the little chintzy manual that came with the phone,....and I wasn't aware that there was one online.

Not angry or upset with you either....but I do take issue with your statement about 'swiping' not being counter intuitive. I've had LOTS of mobile phones before and some with touchscreens....and I've never had to 'swipe' across the screen to answer an incoming call.....all I've ever had to do was simply press a button. So, since there is no button to press to answer the phone it was intuitive and logical to me to press (tap) the green 'button' on the screen.

I'm going to change my settings to be able to use the Home key to answer calls. I was going to go in and do that a while back when I read the response posting by 'thehotbreadguy' but I forgot. I'm going to do it NOW.

12. big_mike

big_mike Well-Known Member

i can do it one handed no problem...

13. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Even I had trouble figuring out how to pick up a call when I first got my phone. It's general problem to many android phones. HTC phone also uses swipe to pick up a call. I helped a lady at a Vodafone store to pick up her call the other day - even the store clerk doesn't know how to.

But like got-petrol said, there's a good reason for this feature.

LateNiteMike likes this.
  14. big_mike

big_mike Well-Known Member

its like the iphone answering system.

15. C Jordan

C Jordan New Member

Hi folks
    Does anyone know why my Galaxy S is really slow to move from one format to another ie. from the screen saver to say txt messages and when you pick up txt messages it takes some time from them to appear on screen? Am I just being impatient? Thanks C:confused:

16. C Jordan

C Jordan New Member

Hi folks
    Does anyone know why the battery on my Samsung Galaxy S keeps running down quickly, I charge it one day and the next (usually after very little use), it needs recharging?
    Many thanks
    C

17. goyal.sanchit

goyal.sanchit Well-Known Member

@ C Jordan

I suggest you create another thread (or search previous) with appropriate title so you may get better help there. If the question is posted here you may not get much replies!

C Jordan likes this.
  18. GStadium

GStadium Active Member

I know this is an old thread, but can I just say I agree that this is an awful interface feature. I missed two calls today because of stabbing the green button on the screen, unable to see any subsidiary instructions because of the bright sun. I hadn't seen this awkward and counterintuitive feature before: on my old HTC Desire I just had to touch the green button, which was nice and simple.

I've just got the "state of the art" Samsung Galaxy S3 and this, along with its random unexpected voice announcements, has caused me some frustration.

19. vladyandrew

vladyandrew Member

I can make this with one hand.