Switch from 3g to 1x due to poor receptionGeneral

Last Updated:

1. cheffern

cheffern Member This Topic's Starter

So I just picked up the Droid Eris and am having serious reception issues when at work, which is here I am most of the time. I upgraded from an LG Chocolate, and did miss or have a dropped call for 2 years. After getting the Droid Eris I missed 3 calls the first day with the phone in my office. I receive adequate 1x coverage, but only spotty 3g coverage. My co-workers all have iPhones and have the same issue, but they have the ability to manually turn off the 3g, which then allows them to send and receive calls and texts without any problems using the at&T 1x network.

Is there a way (or an app) that allows a user to turn off the 3g and only receive 1x coverage for the Droid Eris? I don't think turning off the mobilenetwork accomplishes this goal, but would like to know for sure.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Turning off the mobile network would basically accomplish the same thing. You will only be able to send/receive text messages and phone calls when it is off. It will also make your battery last for quite a while. If your company has wifi in the building then you could always use that while you are in the office to get everything else working.

3. cheffern

cheffern Member This Topic's Starter

So would turning off the mobile network keep my phone on the 1x network permanently (until I turn it back on of course)? The issue is due to the phone bouncing from a weak 3g to a strong 1x constantly, thus I can never lock on either the weak 3g or the strong 1x, I just end up with no reception because the phone keeps bouncing off the 2 network types.

4. Ataranine

Ataranine Well-Known Member

Yes it would. Constantly looking for 3G service drains the battery too.
    Turning Mobile Network off will save you some battery and keep your phone on 1X.

5. antnyp85

antnyp85 Well-Known Member

Yup they pretty much answered your question. You might consider adding one of the HTC widgets that turns off the Mobile Network to one of your screens. That's what I did... I have the Mobile Network Widget, and a WiFi widget on one of the screens, and when I'm at home I just use WiFi instead! I'm hoping you have WiFi at work?

6. tats_06

tats_06 Well-Known Member

This is a great idea...but wouldn't the process of turning on mobile network, then searching for 3G drain your battery more? I probably should try this method, as my home reception area is not the greatest. Thanks. :)