Switch from Gingerbread to FroyoGeneral

Last Updated:

1. mach101

mach101 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,
    First of all I am completely new to Android, and I want to downgrade to Froyo, to test the performance of Froyo to see whether it is better choice for my Samsung Galaxy Gio.
    Also I have seen on Google that there is a new update version 2.3.4, but Kies do not update this for me.

Hope someone can tell how to downgrade.

thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. karandpr

karandpr Well-Known Member

Welcome to android Forums

You will need to learn how to use Download Mode and how to flash a phone via odin
    Both the tutorial
    (Flash Guide) and the Froyo firmware are available here

You have to register your account there to download firmwares and guides

Gio is GT-S5660

Personally speaking ,Gingerbread is more CPU optimized than Froyo since I own a similar device with same class processor (ARM11v6Vfp) and GB is a better choice than Froyo .

Note that Changing from Froyo to Gingerbread or vice versa includes flashing the Bootloader files .

If the files are corrupted or the USB connection or the USB port is faulty ,you have 30 p.c chance of totally bricking the phone .

Also you may need a firmware with the bootloader files or else Froyo wont work on gingerbread bootloader

Finally If you are completely new to android than I will suggest skipping the "downgrade" process since it has risks not worth the time (even more than rooting the phone )

3. mach101

Thanks for the reply Karandpr.
    It sounds that it is not so easy as I thought it to be. The reason I want to downgrade is because I have read at some forums that people mentioned they had better battery life when Froyo was installed. I experience that the battery consumes quite fast with regard to my usage.

I also have an iPhone 4 and so I am not that new to smartphones, but this is my first Android, and I can easily see the difference between these two phones battery performances.

4. karandpr

karandpr Well-Known Member

Probably .but trust me ,gingerbread is more cpu optimised than froyo .
    The main battery culprits are wifi,data/3G and screen.
    I suppose when you get a radio update via kies ,you may find a bump in battery performance .

5. mach101

I guess I wait for a while and see if I can improve the battery or as you said get an update for the wifi that will improve it.

Do you know if there is a special program for de/activating of 3G and mobile data? I can't figure it out how to from mobiles own programs.

6. mach101

Is rooting the phone "safe"? Would it help to get more control of the items that drain the battery?

7. TweakAndroid

TweakAndroid Active Member

Do some research befroe you downgrade. Gingerbread actually increased battery life for the Gio.

Downgrading will be a waste of time. Get a battery saver app like Easy battery saver, get a program that controls autorunning programs and close everything in the background if you are not using them.