• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switch from OV to Triumph?

Ive had my optimus for while now and like the phone but found a sale at radio shack right now to get a triumph for $169. I'd like to have the bigger size and front camera for video chat. Any thoughts? Im still on the $25 plan so not in a rush to start spending $35 for one of the new phones.

ps I talked with sales clerk and they are gonna allow me to turn my V for $49.99 credit so the Triumph would only cost me $120.

Thanks

I have both phones in my house, my MT running MIUI 2.4.20 and my husband's OV running Backside IHO CM7.2. In my opinion, I would keep my OV handy just in case. You probably have all you STUFF on it and if you have problems with the MT, you have your backup phone. My MT runs MIUI 2.4.20 with mOCK kernel and SuperSU to help with permission issues. The mOCK kernel improves this rom by managing the phone resources better. It improved the battery consumption & speed a great deal. Rom Toolbox also helps with any tweaking. My MT works SOOO much better now. No force closing apps, no camera & video flicker, no more excessive battery drain! (note: I don't run any big graphic games either!)
Check out Triumph-All Things Must Root section and read thru the stickies first. There is a great wealth of info to help you there. The MT is a great phone, but it's better if it's running a custom rom. You'll really like having the bigger screen, faster processor, more memory space, better graphics and front facing camera for video chat. Things that the OV really wasn't up to speed for!

Upvote 0
Once you start using a phone with a screen the size of the Triumph, you will wonder how you got by with the OV! The OV is a great little phone, but the Triumph is a step up IMHO. There's also no contest as far as the internal memory- I still check my storage space religiously because of having the OV, but I have a bunch of apps installed & still have more than 600MB left internally. On the OV, it was always "what gets moved to the SD card today", and then I'd always have trouble with the icons disappearing after I rebooted the phone. The MT certainly has it's frustrations, but almost all are solvable with a custom ROM.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I ended up finding one with retail package and everything still for $115 so just bought that and keeping my V as a backup phone encase anything happens to triumph. Can't really beat paying $5 less and not having to exchange my current.
I was going to suggest keeping the V as a backup. My first triumph died, and I had to switch back to the Optimus V while waiting for the replacement Triumph from Virgin Mobile, though it arrived quickly. And some people have gone through a lot more than 1 replacement Triumph.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones