Switch to 3G only mode and external antenna

Last Updated:

1. Jeff31UK

Jeff31UK Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all. New to this phone and loving it. I live out in the boonies and no DSL/Cable, no other carriers have 3G, so been using the tethered phone (Yes, 2GB + $10/GB ... I know!). Phone likes to switch between EDGE/3G. Phone unrooted.

1) Any app to easily force 3G only? I know about the dial #*#*197328640#*#* -> Option 1 -> Option 8 -> Option 4 -> RAT to WCDMA setting but would prefer an app for when I take the phone out with me.

2) Ordered an external antenna / connector. Will I really have to drill a hole in my battery cover? There has to be somewhere I can order a battery cover from with the hole there already? I can't be the only person wanting to do this.....

Thanks all and great forum!

Advertisement
  2. proudsoonersfan

proudsoonersfan Member

I like SamServMode. You can do the same thing as typing in everything on the keypad but it's easier to open this program and navigate to the correct place to switch RAT to GSM or WCDMA. I really love this program because it allows me to easily switch between the two. I do this because where I work, the edge reception is better than 3G and I barely get a 3G signal. Try it out.

I'm new to this and I don't know how to insert the QR code yet but here is the link on AppBrain: SamServMode - Android app on AppBrain

3. Jsalinger

Jsalinger New Member

Instead of drilling a hole in your case, have you ever considered one of the Wilson boosters? I use one of these in a very rural area, inside a building, about 20 miles from the nearest tower. Cell Phone Antennas and Cell Phone Boosters at Wilson Electronics

It is a cradle device, and works wonderfully. I get full bars (signals between -51 to -81db on my Captivate and iPhone) when using this booster. You can couple the booster with several different kinds of externally mounted antennas, from building mounted antennas to car-roof mounted antennas.

I used to use the direct antenna connections on some of my older phones, but I have been so much happier with this setup (especially not having to buy a proprietary connector for each phone I own).

4. Jeff31UK

Jeff31UK Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys. Samservmode certainly helps. About the cradle - i tried one of those whole house boosters from radio shack - didnt work. Maybe a cradle would - thanks for the tip!