Switch to Gmail in the UK?

Last Updated:

1. The_Major

The_Major Member This Topic's Starter

Has anybody successfully made the switch from googlemail to gmail in the UK. I stupidly made the switch but my hero wouldn't play so I had to go back to googlemail.

I am considering trying again as I am about to change to a different rom but does anybody know if the market is clever enough to spot that @googlemail and @gmail are the same address or will I lose my paid apps?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I've always used gmail here in the UK. But I don't see why the market wouldn't be able to figure it out, they're interchangeable in every other situation.

If your apps do disappear then just reflash the ROM.

3. The_Major

I always use gmail, as messages sent to @gmail arrive in your @googlemail box anyway, but as gmail is known as googlemail in the uk the handset sees googlemail. Google won its 5 year legal battle and is now offering UK users to make a full switch to @gmail (message appears at the top of the screen asking if you want to switch)

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I think they won that a good few years ago now didn't they? I had @gmail before that became an issue so I got to keep it even through that anyway :)

But yeah, google will interpret either version of the email address as your account, so I don't see it being a problem.

EDIT: Oh I see they're only just allowing people to switch, I didn't know that.

5. umshamrock

umshamrock Well-Known Member

uh oh...i made the swtich, now my hero is confused (gtalk won't sign in!). so i went back to my account and changed it back to googlemail.com...but my hero still won't play! has this happened to anyone else? i don't want to do a reset as i just did one last week...help! thanks so much.

EDIT: turned out i was still signed into my googlemail account via gmail manager on firefox so when i tried to switch my email back from gmail to googlemail.com the switch wouldn't take. once i signed out of everything that uses my googlemail account, then made the switch back to my googlemail.com address, everything was fine and gtalk works again. yay!

6. The_Major

Thats what happened to me and I had to do a data wipe and setup my gmail account again... sorry but don't know any other way around it!

7. The_Major

Bit the bullet and made the switch as I was installing slidevillain (best rom ever!) and can confirm that market does recognise the change and kept all my paid apps!