Switch to Verizon and Droid Eris?General

Last Updated:

1. acurtis

acurtis New Member This Topic's Starter

I have been on Tmobile for several years. I have an unlocked 1st Gen iphone that has been unlocked since day one. It still works but I have that itch for a new phone and I have the chance to switch to my fiance's Verizon family plan and cut my bill from $60+ to less than $40.

What do you all think about switching from A) Iphone to Eris and B) Tmobile to Verizon.

I'v kinda always been anti Verizon, but then again I've also been anti Apple (except the phone of course).

Interested in all opinions....

Advertisement
  2. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

Welcome to Android Forums!! :)

3. smacky

smacky Banned

Verizon and AT&T are just about neck-and-neck in terms of pricing. I think it was either T-Mobile or Sprint that recently was voted as having the cheapest services.

T-Mobile has EDGE, and while I know nothing about it, I know from other people that it sucks badly.

Here's something I'm not sure if someone will bring up early if these were a conversation. Verizon is CDMA and AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM. All you need to know is GSM uses SIM cards and CDMA does not. You can Google the pros and cons (hint: they're essentially equal in performance) but switching phones is easier with a GSM. If you want a new phone on AT&T or T-Mobile, you find the phone you want, whether it be on eBay, a friend, or from the store itself, and just switch SIM cards. With CDMA, you have to call in, verify this and that, and I dunno the rest, but it's a bit more complicated.

That being said, if you lose your SIM card, you lose everything. Contacts and all that jazz. You can always back it up, but that's the con, in a way.

When it comes to the Eris, if money is not an issue, hold off for another month or two as the successor to the Eris, the Desire/Bravo will be out soon and will share similar physical qualities with the Nexus One, but still be unique in its own way. It should cost no more than $199 but some places, like Dell, Amazon, etc. may actually have it for cheap with a new contract.

4. AwesomeIT

AwesomeIT Well-Known Member

To help I'd like to know why you are anti-Verizon? Is it a customer service issue? Not a good enough selection of phones? Bad network coverage in your area? If we knew why, we could give you information that might help you make a decision.

Also, what is your phone usage like? Are you a heavy user? Do you use a lot of data? Do you use your phone heavily as a multimedia device?

5. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

What you'll give up is doing "data and voice" at the same time.

Verizon and Sprint, being CDMA networks, have 3g data and 1xRTT data/voice go through the same channel.

This means you can't do both 3g data and 1x voice at the same time.

Technically, you could disable 3g, and use 1x for data (similar to EDGE in terms of speed, much slower than 3g), and use both at the same time. But people typically don't do that. It's not worth it.

Verizon is great in terms of customer service, MUCH better coverage in most places than T-Mobil, AT&T, and Sprint (here in Buffalo, that is CERTAINLY the case), and excellent 3g coverage just about anywhere.

Their phones are usually VERY locked down, but the openness of Android is hard to beat. I can do more with my phone than my friends with jailbroken iPhones, right out of the box. No 'Rooting' or hacking required.

It's a spectacularly featured phone and OS. I'd wait for the HTC Invincible or whatever 1ghz+ Android phone comes out. Eris is great, but a faster, more developed slew of Android phones is coming in the next month or two, if you can wait that long.

I'm happy with my Eris. But if I were looking RIGHT now, I'd wait a couple months if possible, or at least to see Eris get Android 2.x (in March?).

Good luck, and I highly recommend. Lots of friends, I've converted to Android. A former iPhone user (current HTC Eris/Hero user) converted ME. It's a great thing to be so connected to Google. Their services/programs are amazing. Amazing and exciting platform.

iPhone is a smartphone for dummies. Android can be a LOT more powerful with a reasonably intelligent user. Good luck.

6. KinderwoodLabs2

KinderwoodLabs2 Member

I think it really depends on how and where you use your phone and service. If you travel (at least moderate distances) a lot within the US, a GSM network (AT&T) is not for you. Although coverage is getting better, GSM is still only available in select areas. So, it works beautifully in those select areas (some could argue that it even performs better than CDMA) but, if you travel outside those areas, No Service (and I'm not just talking about the phone having a weak Roaming signal. I'm talking about absolutely NO SERVICE)- CDMA (Verizon, Alltel, etc.) towers generally do not support GSM.

That being said, if you stick pretty close to home and don't travel a lot or travel mainly internationally, you'd probably be just fine with a GSM network. Just something to think about.

Personally, we travel quite a bit to dog shows within the US (likely will not have the opportunity to travel overseas), so I, generally, prefer a reliable CDMA network- knowing that my phone is going to work pretty much everywhere in the country. I've always felt that, while I really enjoy the convenience and entertainment/amusement of a smartphone, it's 1st and primary function is that of a PHONE.

JMHO, but I also think the iPhone has lost a lot of its advantages with the roll-out of the Android phones...

Good luck in deciding and, whatever you decide, it has to be the right choice for you and your lifestyle!

7. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

is it your job just to welcome people? like 90% of your 2800+ posts are "welcome to android forums!! :)"

8. Brianm109

Brianm109 Well-Known Member

My old phone died and I use it for work. I couldn't be without a phone so I reluctantly bought the droid Eris. I was really hoping for the Incredible or the Bravo (or what ever is was going to be called). To my surprise I'm I loving it. It may be a little slow compared to the future Droid models but to me that's ok and the price was unbeatable $0 (contract was up). However, with that said I would wait to see about these other models. It can't hurt the Eris will still be there. The most recent Consumers Report had Verizon on top in every major cell market. AT&T almost last in every market (makes you wonder about their commercials). Bottom line the Eris is great but wait to see the better.