• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switched from Sprint to Verizon, VERY UPSET!

pedtech

Nov 18, 2009
I switched from SPRINT to Verizon, got the thunderbolt, had major problems with 2 of the handsets not holding data connections. So i chose/forced to get the reliable Iphone instead.

Iphone great, reliable and stable, never a data drop!, but slow as hell. So when the TB or Verizon's 4g LTE network has all its bugs worked out am I screwed?? Will i have to cough FULL price to get the TB back when all the bugs are worked out??

It just doesnt feel right, i am sure many others feel the same!

I think Verizon should switch me for free due to major problems, OPINIONS PLEASE!!

This is the first 4G phone on a brand new 4G network. There were going to be hiccups along the way. Just a price for being an early adopter. As far as getting switched for free...you're barking up the wrong tree with VZW. Hold the iPhone for a while, until more 4G devices are released and grab one of those. You'll have to cough up full retail more than likely, unless you can sell your iPhone to someone to make up some of the difference.

Reactions: redraider1
Upvote 0
Well it all depends on who you speak to in customer care with VZW...they may allow you to upgrade to a newer Android phone in the summer at the upgrade price...but that's usually when you have a device your having problems with, not for the sake of just switching because you feel the iPhone is slow, double edged sword. Plus your a new customer, so its a crap shoot.

My advice, like someone else said, port back to Sprint and wait for either a fix, or when some newer 4G devices drop. Like someone said, it's a new network rolling with 4G, so some hiccups are to be expected.

Upvote 0
You're still in your Worry Free period, most likely. Vz will let you leave without any hassle.

Or, you can go back to a TB as long as you've had the iphone 14 days or less, but you'll pay $35. 15 or more days, and you'll pay full off contract price.

While the methods are not click, bang, done at the moment, it is possible to force a TB in a 4g area to choose the 3g network only. It's two clicks, a scroll, a careful selection from a menu of choices, and done. The ability to do this influenced both my son's and my commitment to stick with the TB after our 14 day return period.

Do what works best for you. In a forum about a new phone on a new network, you're going to find a lot of early adopters with an extraordinary tolerance for things not being quite perfect and willing to deal with clunky workarounds.

It's reasonable to consider the TB launch to be a public beta test of the 4g network under real world load. There's major stuff that Verizon and HTC are learning, adapting, and hopefully improving. HTC wrote their own LTE radio firmware, and we're yet to see an over the air push of new radio firmware from them. It's wise to get all the fixes into one update, IMHO, than to thrash at the problem with updates every other day.

Upvote 0
I have to admit, I have never bought anything until it had been out for a year, but I was in my Verizon store on March 17 and was the first to get the Thunderbolt at my location and so far I have been pleasantly surprised by how few issues I have had with this phone. I am very appreciative of that fact and am assuming others just aren't having the same experience?

Upvote 0
I have to admit, I have never bought anything until it had been out for a year, but I was in my Verizon store on March 17 and was the first to get the Thunderbolt at my location and so far I have been pleasantly surprised by how few issues I have had with this phone. I am very appreciative of that fact and am assuming others just aren't having the same experience?

I am having the same experience. I am diggin Verizon and the t-bolt. ATT offered me a 400 dollar credit and a free Inspire and I turned them down to stay with the t-bolt. No regrets.

Upvote 0
I am with everyone else on this...one of the key features for me is the 4G hotspot. I use 4g for that and its faster than my home WIFI network (today...who knows as more and more network pressure comes to bear). I use 3g for most other stuff ... calls basic browsing and such and the signal is top notch. I also have excellent call quality as I ask everyone i talk to (did the switch to EVRC-B CDMA NAM Settings - instructions per this board).

I have two more days left in my 14 day test and so far, with the help of this forum, I am keeping this phone until it breaks. :D

-- My wife has a workmate apple lover who told her that HTC products break after 6 months and I should have bought the iphone...so I have that going for me/us. I told her "whaaaaaaaaateva, 4g is awesome!" :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones