Switched to Sprint for the Evo, what's a good backup?

Last Updated:

1. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well I made the switch a couple weeks ago to Sprint so that I can get the Evo. I got a Hero at Best Buy so I could have something to use until I exchange it for the Evo. Up until now I've pretty much been a big GSM user. I've had T-Mobile and AT&T. I unlock all my phones, so any time anything happened with my smartphone, I always had a reliable feature phone to fall back on. I also would switch my sim card to one of these if I was going somewhere potentially hazardous to my beloved smartphone of the month, ie fishing boat, ATV'ing, etc.

My question is, what is a good/reliable and relatively cheap feature phone I can buy to have as a backup for my Evo. I rely on my phone for a lot, and not having a sim card and extra phones kinda freaks me out. I need to know I have something in the drawer that could bail me out if something goes wrong. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. jay2thab

jay2thab Active Member

my vote would be for the pre or the pixi... i am leaving my pre for the evo and my son is picking it up and dumping his treo 800.. id say cheap go with pixi.. no moving parts candy bar style.. decent features..

3. ShadowDrake

ShadowDrake Member

Just pick up a prepaid and leave it around unactivated. Sprint charges $18 to switch phones on your line - each way.

4. iamfunkyz

iamfunkyz Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that's true. I dropped my centro in the shitter. I bought a samsung instinct on ebay to replace it. I switched it over using sprint's website and it was completely free. Only took about 10 minutes.

EDIT: www.sprint.com/activate

Like I said, it was free and quick.

5. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member

i've never been charged a fee to switch phones. during my 2 year contract that i started with the Mogul, i switched to the Diamond then Touch Pro and never got a fee.

6. newone757

newone757 Well-Known Member

if you want a dumbphone why dont you go in sprint store and fiddle with some of those cheap ones, might find a good rugged one thatll do exactly what you want

7. ShadowDrake

ShadowDrake Member

Good to know. My last experience was in the Touch Pro (1) days where I had a replacement every three weeks and had a charge for $18 show up every time I had to activate my new one. I had to call in and ask that the charge be removed. I'm a premiere customer... It's been like 8 months since I got the TP2 though and no replacements so far.

8. ashykat

Whew I was gonna say if I get charged for just switching phones that I already own then my relationship with Sprint would be short lived.

9. newone757

$18 is the activation fee for new phones for a premier customer ($36 otherwise)

if your phone has already been activated before (ever) then there is no fee. Ive switched between my pre and tp2 around 30 sumthin times in the last 2 months or so, about every other day

10. ImmaSlave4U

ImmaSlave4U Well-Known Member

$36 - Activation fee for new customers.

$18 - Upgrade fee for non-Premier customers.

Sprint | Premier customers pay no upgrade fees.

11. newone757

thanks for the correction.

12. ashykat

So, if I were to buy a dumbphone at full price (which would be my only option aside from ebay/craigslist) and then activated it I would still be charged an "upgrade" fee?