• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switching between audio outputs

ebin_droid

Lurker
Jun 4, 2010
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it.

Is there a simple way to switch between audio outputs on Android regardless of the application that is creating the sound? I would like to be able to explicitly choose whether audio is being output to speaker, headphones, or bluetooth.

Frequently I will be listening to music on bluetooth and then plug in headphones -- when I do this, the audio remains being played through bluetooth and does not switch over to the headphones. Or vice versa.

I would be surprised if this capability doesn't exist somehow, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Thanks.

- ebin

I second this. Would def. be nice to be able to choose the output, even at the application level. For example, sometimes when I am driving, I would like to have the music output via the headphone jack, and navigation and calls through the bluetooth headset.

Unfortunately, the second I connect my bluetooth headset, all audio goes through there. And I haven't found anything to give this extra functionality.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones