1. HUGE Androidforums.com UPDATE! Learn what's new (and download the new app!)
    Dismiss Notice

Switching e-mail addresses without losing paid appsSupport (Browse All)

Last Updated:

1. nicoleyxravioli

nicoleyxravioli Member This Topic's Starter

Hey I just got married and my old e-mail address had my old last name, so I created a new gmail e-mail address reflecting my new last name. Is there a way to use my new e-mail address on my phone as my primary account (I don't mind doing a factory reset or anything) without losing my paid apps. Like is there a way to transfer the paid apps from one e-mail address to the other? Thanks :)

Advertisement
  2. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

First, congrats on your wedding.

Second, I've never heard of a way to do this, but if it is possible, I expect it would require contacting Google, since they run the market. There might be a procedure...

But I don't think you really need to worry about this...just use your old email address to do the initial phone sign-in to keep your paid apps, and add and use your new Gmail email address for all your email needs.

Or (and this is my favorite) tell your husband that his family has to pay to replace all your paid apps, since it's their fault you have a new name... :)

3. nicoleyxravioli

nicoleyxravioli Member This Topic's Starter

lmao. :)

But would your first method make it so I get e-mails from both of my gmail accounts on my phone? Because I get so much junk on my old e-mail address, and I was looking forward to not receiving all of those e-mails lol

4. Redflea

You'll still get them, but you can just ignore them...if you don't open that account to look at the emails, you'll never have to see them. There is no combined email inbox for Gmail messages (something I've always wanted on the Droid) so you'll only see messages for the account you actually look at.

nicoleyxravioli likes this.
  5. mcatdtDROID

mcatdtDROID Banned

you can also turn off notifications to the old email....

I was also in this situation, I wanted to change to my work. I eventually talked myself out of it since I had 2 apps I would have to re-purchase. Would have cost $15 but I just dind't want to do that.

I have 4 total gmails. I set 3 of them to notify me when I get emails.... one I do not care about (I only have it so I can have an extra color option on my calendar for reffing) all that happens is it gets spammed anyways as my ref info comes to my work email. I just don't want to list ref events in the same color as my work meetings.

but, look around at google website, there may be a way to account for name changes based on weddings.... I know with google corporate mail, we deal with that. And at least for a while, it still sends to the new name, even when you use the old name. But that was an older mail client, not google.

6. Redflea

mcatdtDROID's reply just reminded me - you can actually turn off email sync for your old gmail account if you want...Settings>Accounts and select the Gmail account and turn off any sync (email, calendar, contacts, etc.) that you don't want syncing to your phone.