• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switching from AT&T to get Moto X

j_ryan

Jun 10, 2010
East Tennessee
Currently I'm a secondary line on a month to month AT&T family plan with an iPhone 3G. The account holder is my stepfather and the only other line we'll be moving to Verizon. My question is can I go ahead and sign up for our new plan and get his phone (Samsung Convoy) and port our numbers? I figured I could just get any phone then swap it for the X on the 15th. Is that possible? If not I'll probably just open a new account online as early as I can on the 15th and overnight the phones.

Would there be a restocking fee if I wanted to return the temp phone for the X? I called my local Verizon store and he said they'd have at least 3 or 4 DXs on the 15th and my best bet would be waiting in line that morning. And would the account holder need to be there for me to swap out the phones?

The biggest problem for me is the account holder is an over the road driver, and he'll be several states away on the the 15th. So any actions that require him to be there will have to be delayed and I can't wait for this phone.

Upvote 0
Would there be a restocking fee if I wanted to return the temp phone for the X? I called my local Verizon store and he said they'd have at least 3 or 4 DXs on the 15th and my best bet would be waiting in line that morning. And would the account holder need to be there for me to swap out the phones?

The biggest problem for me is the account holder is an over the road driver, and he'll be several states away on the the 15th. So any actions that require him to be there will have to be delayed and I can't wait for this phone.

You will most likely have to pay the $35 restocking fee. I had to do it when I returned my Palm Pre Plus temp phone in waiting for the Incredible. From my personal experiences, you don't need the account holder to be there. You do need to know the account password though or else they can't do anything for you.

Upvote 0
Typically I manage our wireless accounts and anything else technology based (since I'm a college student and electronics are a passion of mine and he's 55). Perhaps I'd actually be better off opening the account in my name? I know they run a credit check, but my credit score is 740+ so surely that's considered acceptable.

Upvote 0
Yeah j_ryan, that's excellent credit. My idea would be to simplify as much as possible and create your verizon account on the day you purchase the Droid X. That way there's no dealing with any temp. phone. And consider adding your stepfather to the account when he is back in town, that way he can keep the same number and will have an active cell with him on the road.

Upvote 0
Yeah j_ryan, that's excellent credit. My idea would be to simplify as much as possible and create your verizon account on the day you purchase the Droid X. That way there's no dealing with any temp. phone. And consider adding your stepfather to the account when he is back in town, that way he can keep the same number and will have an active cell with him on the road.

What other charges will I incur by creating this account in my name? Like activation fees, first month's bill, etc.? The primary reason I wanted him as the account holder is that I only have to pay him for my line. He pays for all the minutes and I pay my data, text and line charge because I don't use my phone for voice (less than 20 minutes a month).

Upvote 0
These are very good questions that a Verizon Representative could best answer. As far as your stepfather being out of town, I'm concerned that without his presence you may face difficulty trying to create/open an account in his name. A good question you can ask while talking to that verizon rep, is will your stepfather be able to switch as the primary account holder after you add him to the account that you opened on the Droid x release date. Adding him after though, I'm assuming is the way your interested in going so that he can have an active Phone on him until you guys meet in person or in town.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones