Switching from iphone 5 to GN2General

1. acollins789

acollins789 Member

Hey everyone! After being completely disappointed with the iphone 5, my dad and I have decided to sell our iphone 5s and buy some GN2s. I'm trying to figure out the most economical way to buy these phones new. Our service is with ATT. The phone retails for $650 new (16gb model). If you have an account upgrade, you save (which we don't), you save an additional $350 per phone. Also, ATT is offering $100 off on the purchase of a 2nd galaxy device until 1/10(not 100% sure if it includes the GN2). My plan is to open 2 new lines (at $10/month to get the upgrades) and buy both phones at once. It would work out like this:

$650 for new gn2* 2 = $1300
    Vs
    $650*2 = $1300 - $700 (upgrade) - $100 (special) = $500 + $480 (2 years of service) = $980 for both phones

Is this the cheapest way to buy the phones new? Please offer any advice! Thanks! (I know I missed the best deals on Black Friday and cyber Monday)

Advertisement
    :
  2. ceva321

ceva321 Well-Known Member

get a second line like i did, i have now the GN2 and the GS3 :)
  3. _-Jay-_

_-Jay-_ Well-Known Member

That's essentially what he is doing. He is opening up 2 new lines of service to get the upgrade price on both phones. The $480 is for him to have to pay $10/mo for each additional line over 2 years. He is basically getting 2 lines he will never use to help offset the upfront costs of the upgrade.

I recently did something similar. I had 3 devices on my Sprint account, 2 GS3's and an iPhone 4S, but wanted the N2 really bad. Rather than pay $650 for the phone (out of contract price), I opened up a 4th line and used it to get the N2 for $225 (The Best Buy Mobile I was at was running a promotion). I then traded in my GS3 towards the cost of the new N2. So the note 2 cost me about $75 bucks out of pocket upfront. Then I stuck an old Sprint flip phone on the new line so I don't get charged an extra $10/mo for premium data. While I am now pretty much throwing away $20/mo on the service, I justify it by going out to eat once less time a month.

By the way, I know I could have gotten a lot more for my GS3 if I sold it privately, but I didn't want the hassle of trying to Craigslist it. I have had some major headaches trying to sell stuff in the past on CL, especially Mobile Phones in particular.
  4. Veritas4420

Veritas4420 Well-Known Member

With AT&T make sure you have them set the new lines up as dummy lines with only voice. When I opened a new line for my GN2 they said they did that but they actually kept the note2 on that line so I was getting charged for voice and data. I ended up having to buy a cheapy att phone to stick the sim in. Very annoying.
  5. acollins789

acollins789 Member

Ok thanks for the heads up!
  6. lcneed

lcneed Well-Known Member

I didn't know they would let you know that. I thought you have to agree to the voice+data plan for 2 years in order to get discount on a smart phone on a new line. At least when I tried to do it, they won't let me do it online and when I called, I was told the same thing.
  7. Ekris

Ekris Member

Add the 2 new lines for the Note 2, sell the iphones for 400/each, cancel 2 of the lines, and not have to pay the extra for the 2 lines that you added from the get go.
  8. Mayhem Industriez

Mayhem Industriez Well-Known Member

You could always do what I did. I traded my iphone 5 for my N2 and that way I didn't have to open a new line with the extra $$$ a month
  9. acollins789

acollins789 Member

I could cancel both of the old lines. My iPhones are both 64g. I hope to get more than. $400 each for them lol
  10. ceva321

^^^

why were you disappointed with the iphone 5?
  11. acollins789

acollins789 Member

I had the 4 for 2 years. The 5 isn't anythig significantly different from it. There is no jaklbreak out so I can't customize it at all. The phone is boring to me now. I'm looking for something different. The big screen on the note 2 is a huge plus too.
  12. ceva321

true i had the iphone 4 for 2 years too after my horrific Crackberry Storm!!! Then the iphone 4 was "the" phone to have, now fastforward the iphone5 was such a letdown..an extra row of damn icons please!!!! LOL

[​IMG]
    mine by Ceva321, on Flickr
  13. Ekris

Ekris Member

Haha I was just tossing out a number. If you get them unlocked, you can sell those EASILY for $600+
  14. acollins789

acollins789 Member

I went ahead and picked up the GN2 tonight! I opened up 2 dummy lines to get the upgrade. This phone is amazing! I'm going to spend the next few days learning how to use it lol!
  15. ceva321

Congratulations!!!!! :p so much fun!!!

[​IMG]
  16. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

You could pretty easily get $600 each for these. Look around on Craigslist.
  17. Veritas4420

Veritas4420 Well-Known Member

I just ordered a $9.99 GO phone off amazon, called AT&T and told them I would like to switch the added line to voice only. Gave them the IMEI number and they changed it.
  18. marcel46

marcel46 New Member

I sold my iphone 5 for 650, so I only had to pay an extra 50 for the note 2
  19. acollins789

acollins789 Member

I need some advice. I'm about to put my iphone 5 on ebay. Is it better to pay to unlock the phone before selling or leave the phone locked?
  20. AdamdangA

AdamdangA Active Member

Buy an unlock on ebay, most will do it for you within 24 hours, you just provide the IMEI. I got one for $3, and it will add $100 to the value of the phone. Most people who are turning to ebay for an iphone want to bring it to a carrier who currently doesn't offer it. Small investment that pays off quick.