Switching Gmail AccountsSupport

Last Updated:

1. beeson76

beeson76 Member This Topic's Starter

In error Gmail has disabled my account that I use with the Android Market.

Is there anyway to switch accounts in the phone without resetting to factory settings?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Advertisement
  2. LukeOlson

LukeOlson Well-Known Member

Menu -> Settings -> Accounts and sync -> Add account (add your Google account)
    Menu -> Settings -> Accounts and sync -> tap on existing Google account -> Remove account

3. fldude99

fldude99 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see if one can actually remove the original gmail account. I suppose it doesn't matter, as long as the new account is used for all the doo dads and syncing..

4. automagrt

automagrt Well-Known Member

From what I've been told, you cannot remove an account once it's been added without doing a factory reset. Makes a lot of sense, huh?

5. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Have you actually tried?

Menu -> Settings -> Accounts and sync -> press the account -> [Remove account]

6. automagrt

Yes. I use Google Apps with my own domain for my email which is the original Gmail account I had on the phone. I wanted to use Google Voice but at the time it was not supported by Google Apps so I created a standard Gmail account just for GVoice. Now it is supported so I added it to my Google Apps account and tried to the delete the regular GMail account off the phone but it won't let me. I get a message that it is required by the phone and can only be removed by doing a factory reset.

7. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Hmm, well that's annoying. Good to know I suppose. Had no reason to try or even want to remove my existing one.

8. LukeOlson

LukeOlson Well-Known Member

After some research, I'm pretty sure this only has to do with the account you use when you initially set up your phone (the account that gets tied to the Market and some of the other Google apps), but not for additional accounts you add.

For example, just as a test, I added my wife's Gmail account under Accounts and Import. After it was successfully added, I successfully removed the account (without a factory reset). However, if I try to remove the account I used when I initially set up my phone, I get a message telling me I can't.

9. automagrt

Not for me. I added a secondary Gmail account and it won't let me delete it.