Switching out SD cards?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If I want to use 2 different SD cards and switch them out for more video/music storage, what happens to the apps that were installed when card A, for example, was in the phone?

I know that the apps are not installed on the SD card, but many apps install data to the SD. Will they just not run, or does it just depend? Or is this just not something I should be doing?

Advertisement
  2. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

If you run an app that needs data from the other sd card it will revert back to stock settings, meaning any changes you made to the app, such as preferences will need to be changed again. You could also just copy the apps files to the other card. However i don't know if i would want to switch out memory cards too many times. Eventually the cover might not snap shut as tightly as it once did and eventually the sd slot could wear out, although they are rated for 100,000 inserts.

3. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Well-Known Member

I doubt any apps automatically save anything on the sd card since phones don't always have one. If there is an option for it, just don't use it (and put the bios/games for an emu on the rom, etc).

4. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Many apps store settings on the sd cards.

5. Flaring Afro

What if you don't have one? I understand it if it's an option you can choose but I'd find it weird if a default setting install would do this. :confused:

6. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

All other android phones until this point have included an sd card as far as i know. Its just how the apps are coded, many of them make use of the sd card to store settings. Take keychain for example, it stores the barcode info on the sd card. In fact many apps do, such as astro file manager.

7. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oh also album art grabber stores the cover art on the sd cards as well. I'll post back more apps as i can think of them.

8. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Pic Say Pro, and google maps for navigation stores its data on sd card also. The Weather Channel stores its cache on sd card as well.

9. kayst

Is there a specific directory that contains all the app data or do they just store stuff all over the place? I probably won't do the switching out very much, but would like to be able to if I wanted.

Also, can I go ahead and format my new SD (Fat32?) and start putting media on it, or should I wait and let the phone format it?

10. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Nope. Alot of apps use the microSD card to store/pull data, and if you don't have one, a warning will pop up typically, letting you know that the app needs one to be able to fully run properly.

11. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

I have several apps the store cache and other junk on my sd card. If you swiched cards, it would be like the app has reset itself to how the app was when you downloaded it.

12. greenrolaids

greenrolaids Well-Known Member

whoops.. i did it again.

13. woop

Ya. (I'm not sure if you were responding to my post or not, but that is exactly what will happen. I was responding to the poster above who was questioning the app's requirement for a microSD card)

14. Flaring Afro

That's pretty bad since the Incredible doesn't come with one (last time I heard the 2gb was a temporary offer). Anyone who doesn't have one is going to be pissed that they have to buy one to really use the phone, until the apps work with the moviNAND.

15. woop

I forgot where I read, but I think even one of the HTC apps can't even dig into the internal. I think it was Footprints that needs an microSD.. someone correct me if I'm wrong?

16. CaseyKees

CaseyKees Well-Known Member

Stupid question I guess but does that mean if I am going to install a new 8GB card that I should get on Friday, that I should probably wait to download apps until I install that card and not bother with the 2gb card since it's not the one I will be using?

17. dc006

dc006 Active Member

I don't think its a stupid question. I ordered a 16gig but it won't be here till the afternoon. I also am curious if I should wait to install apps until I can get it instead of using the 2gig one?

18. ac2basis

ac2basis Well-Known Member

I'm curious about this as well if anyone has an answer. I picked up that aData 8 GB card that was posted on one of the other threads

19. kayst

You can probably go ahead and install what you want, then just copy the 2G card over to the 16G before you switch them.

20. Rdjr74

Rdjr74 Well-Known Member

Do we need to format our SD cards(does the phone format them)?