Switching ROM. Is there an easier way?

Last Updated:

1. mcnob

mcnob Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK, the way I do it is a full backup with my backup pro, wipe the phone completely, wipe the a2sd partition, clear the dalvik etc., load new rom and then proceed to re install everything from backup but my god what a fudge about.

Is it really necessary to wipe everytime? I see people talking about changing ROMs often so do you really go through this every time or am I just being over cautious?

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

No, sometimes you should only need to wipe if you are having problems with the new rom.

1) take a backup with rom manager (this backs up your entire phone exactly how it is)
    2) take a titanium backup (just incase) (or you could use mybackup but titanium is what is recommended)
    3) use rom manager to install rom from sd card. You dont have to wipe every time, but sometimes the rom devloper recommends it.

3. DjLukeW

DjLukeW Well-Known Member

it is advised that if your going between different times then yes a wipe would be needed.

if you dont you can get a lot of force closes and stuff overalapping causing errors

4. SUroot

I always try without a wipe first, but if I have problems then I re-do with a wipe.

Generally I just go between versions of the same ROM.

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Exactly what i do.

(well kind of, tbh i only take a titanium backup now, and even thats automated to run every night)

So kinda don't do anything except flash the new rom :D

6. SUroot

I'm really big on snapshots. Its something that i use on a daily basis in my profession so the fact I can do it on my handset is wicked.

I have nandroid snapshots for every ROM I have installed (and liked) so I can revert to a fully functional rom with all my settings etc at ny time. All that is missing are SMS and call logs, which I can restore with Wavesecure.

7. myko14

myko14 Well-Known Member

Different ROMs have different kernels recommended by the dev. Do I have to do a wipe each time I switch ROMs if I have a custom kernel so that the new ROM I am trying will run off the stock kernel?

8. SUroot

Basically you install the new ROM over the old ROM if you Don't Wipe. This will replace the custom kernel as it should be part of the ROM.