switching roms wipe ext? backup ext?

1. bddfc

bddfc New Member

Rooted and lovin' every minute of it.

When I flash new roms is it necessary to do a nandroid+ext or is just a plain nandroid OK. Also should I be wiping the ext portion as well.

I've gone from stock 2.1 ota update to (in order)
    xtrSENSE (super fast crazy good battery with no mods)
    KaosFroyo (very buggy for me had to switch roms)
    CyanogenTazz 6.0 (this is my current rom, pretty fast, little lag on dialer but overall good)

I've only tried 3 roms and have never wiped or backed up ext. also never used apps2sd or cache2sd.

So I want to try xtrRom next but I know that's a 2.1 rom so I'm wondering if I need to do the ext backup or wipe when switching back to 2.1 from 2.2.

Even better is it generally a good idea to do the wipe and backup and what kind of info is held on the ext portion of the sd card.

Advertisement
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

If you have never partitioned the SD card and never used apps2sd or cache2sd, there is no reason to do either Nand+ext or wipe ext. You have no ext partition, so you won't be doing anything anyway.

With cache2cache I seriously doubt that you will ever need to use an ext partition, and switching to the Froyo ROMs (as they are now, except for Nonsensikal) the SD will not even mount if there is an ext partition anyway.

Good luck and happy ROMing!
    bddfc likes this.