switching to evo. giving hero to gf. do i really have to ruu??? :(

Last Updated:

1. patch321

patch321 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

is there any reason to really ruu it? what will they do if they notice it's rooted? what can they do? it's my phone right? i really don't want to go throught the hassle. just to switch numbers. anyway around this?

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Just doing a factory reset will wipe everything and keep root.

They shouldn't need to go digging around too much. They just have to change the ESN in the computer to change numbers for the phones.

3. patch321

is there an app that will back up everything? i don't care too much about apps. but i want to keep root and my current rom for my gf. she can download whichever apps she wants.

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

make a nandroid of the ROM... or have sprint do the ESN swap online and don't take it to the store (so they won't ever see the phone).

5. Sixxx

Sixxx Well-Known Member

You don't even have to bring your phone to the store to switch numbers, so i don't understand why you'd have to change anything? They change it in the computer, and they can give you the programming codes over the phone.

6. jebrank

jebrank Well-Known Member

I believe you will have to to program it. When I switched from Tour to Hero (I switch often) it has to program as if it was a new phone or you have to manually do it. The unlock code will not work unless it is stock. It didnt work for me, I had to go back, program and then flash. 1.5 was the only thing out a the time, maybe it is different now with 2.1. Good luck, heck maybe you did a nadroid back up just after root! Then you just have to restore that and your good to go!!

Goodluck!

7. ron

ron Well-Known Member

No need to ruu or anything. No one will know it is rooted. Like they said, either go onto to the Sprint web site or call tech support and have them activate it on her line. End of story.

8. patch321

okay sounds like doing it online is a pretty good option. wouldn't i have to deactivate one of the phones in order to switch? is that an option? essentially i guess i would just be switching phones once i get the evo activated under her account at best buy. perhaps i'll just call or use the chat support feature at sprint.com. sounds a little too involved to do on my own idk.