• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switching to Verizon from Sprint

Hello my fellow Phandroids,

My wife and I are currently on Sprint with the Palm Pre, we came from AT&T and the iPhone and coverage difference was amazing. Sprint has great coverage in our area (Appleton, Wisconsin) and every where else I've been.

We are looking at switching to Verizon as rumors have it they are going to have some new Android phones in the next couple of weeks (waiting for CES).

I am wondering if Verizon really is all that much better than Sprint in terms of coverage, speed, and reliability. We will have about 800 less minutes (we don't use minutes anyway) but we'll be able to retain our unlimited data and text for about $10 more a month, which won't be the end of the world.

Is it worth it?

Thank you

I switched from a Treo 700p on Sprint to a Moto Droid on Verizon in Houston. Sprint's voice quality was a little better at my house and about the same everywhere else. Sprint dropped calls a little more often, but not too bad. Data on the other hand is a huge difference. Real world through put is probably 10 times faster on Verizon. Both phones are EVDO, so most of the difference is probably the network. The switch was well worth the extra money for me.

Upvote 0
I switched from a Treo 700p on Sprint to a Moto Droid on Verizon in Houston. Sprint's voice quality was a little better at my house and about the same everywhere else. Sprint dropped calls a little more often, but not too bad. Data on the other hand is a huge difference. Real world through put is probably 10 times faster on Verizon. Both phones are EVDO, so most of the difference is probably the network. The switch was well worth the extra money for me.
Good to know. Thanks!

Upvote 0
i recently switched from us cellular to verizon. i have an eris, but might return it and wait for the bravo/incredible. if i'm gonna be locked in for 2 years, i want something semi up to date. i know the 2.0+ update will do that, but the processor, ehhh.

anyways, does anyone know if my moto krzr k1m will work on the VZW network? i bought the phone from US Cellular back in the day, and could use that until the incredible/bravo comes out. thanks!

Upvote 0
i recently switched from us cellular to verizon. i have an eris, but might return it and wait for the bravo/incredible. if i'm gonna be locked in for 2 years, i want something semi up to date. i know the 2.0+ update will do that, but the processor, ehhh.

anyways, does anyone know if my moto krzr k1m will work on the VZW network? i bought the phone from US Cellular back in the day, and could use that until the incredible/bravo comes out. thanks!
No offense but wouldn't it have been better to create a new thread for your question rather than thread-sniping this one?

RE: OP, You say you have great coverage in your area and everywhere else with sprint... that doesn't leave much room for improvement, and there's always the possibility Verizon won't give you comparable coverage, YMMV. Only someone in your area who's had both can really know for sure.
Having said that, I'm on Verizon, girlfriend is on Sprint and I can say with confidence, in my area (Portland, Or.) Verizon has much better coverage, particularly when we go out of town -to the beach/mountains/desert- her service invariably drops whereas I can count on one hand the number of times I've hit a dead zone in the past 5 years with Verizon.
Verizon has made a conscious effort to make their network the most complete in the nation and you don't have to look far to hear customer-satisfaction stories that reflect this. Is it worth the extra $? For reliable data coverage, it is for me.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones