• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [SwitchPro] Reboot/Recovery/Bootloader?

KarateExplosion6

Mar 16, 2010
I noticed that you can now add a "Reboot" button to SwitchPro that works a lot like Quick Boot. This is GREAT! and I am super excited. When you press the button, you're given the option for Reboot/Recovery/Bootloader (also awesome!).

The problem is... it doesn't work!

Is this an issue with my Eris/ROM or are other Eris users experiencing the same? If so, I'd be happy to ping the SwitchPro dev to see if a solution can be found.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

(I've posted this here since you must have Root to use this feature.)

I just tested it and recovery and bootloader didn't work. It just did a regular reboot.

Tested on KaosFroyo v34 w/ the CFSv4 kernel.

Edit, if you email, ask about custom backgrounds for the buttons like the custom docks for launcher pro. :p

Lucky duck, Reboot won't even work for me. I'm running xtrSENSE 4.1 right now.

No problem though. I'm going to wait to see if we hear any more responses on this, then I'll email the dev tonight. I'll toss in custom backgrounds too!

Upvote 0
Did you get the prompt asking for super user permission?

I don't believe so... I can't remember if I did the first time I tried to Reboot from SwitchPro, but either way, if I had, I would have selected Always Allow. When I go into Superuser, SwitchPro is not listed under my Allowed Apps. So, I'm inclined to believe that SwitchPro has never prompted me.

I'm using Superuser v2.3.6.1. Maybe SwitchPro isn't compatible with my version? Which version of Superuser do you have?

Upvote 0
I'm on xtrSense 4.2, and I was having the same problem with SwitchPro Widget not being able to reboot the phone. It wouldn't even ask for permission. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling SwitchPro Widget to no avail. Finally fixed it by removing /system/app/Superuser.apk and reinstalling it from the market. Never had to change the binary su version, just the app.

Upvote 0
I'm on xtrSense 4.2, and I was having the same problem with SwitchPro Widget not being able to reboot the phone. It wouldn't even ask for permission. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling SwitchPro Widget to no avail. Finally fixed it by removing /system/app/Superuser.apk and reinstalling it from the market. Never had to change the binary su version, just the app.

I'd actually thought about that because I'd noticed that, for whatever reason, Superuser doesn't appear in Titanium Backup on xtrSENSE as an application that can have a Market Link associated with it. I don't know why. :thinking:

In any case, thanks for the tip. When I get home tonight from work I'm going to flash version 4.5.2, so I'll have time to check it out.

Upvote 0

Spoke too soon. It worked once, then didn't work again. And DO NOT do what I tried next: flashing Superuser from a ZIP. That messed up xtrSense completely, so I had to re-flash the ROM.

Upvote 0
Aside from that one time, I've never gotten SwitchPro Widget to ask for Superuser permission on xtrSense (and therefore successfully reboot). Before xtrSense, I was using Eris_Official 1.0 (plus Zanfur's kernel and the July OTA updates), and on that ROM the SwitchPro Widget reboot button worked perfectly. So I think it has to do with the location of the su binary, or the version of busybox, or something else like that. It'd be nice if it worked, but for now I'll just keep the Quick Boot app for rebooting. SwitchPro is still good at the other stuff, and is a little better than Dazzle (which lacks instant feedback) and much better than the built-in power control widget (which lacks any customization at all).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones